Reload this Page >

Bypass Windows NT 4.0 login password?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-14-03, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible to bypass Windows NT 4.0 login password? i was just given an old computer that i would like to reformat, but i cannot enter the setup mode to start from the cd-rom. the password i've been trying is the typical admin/marsh12345. are there more available ways to circumvent this login step?
Old 06-14-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can alway download the Microsoft Powertoy utility. Use the TweakIU utility to enable the auto login with the account you specify.

or you can do this:

PSS ID Number: 114615

Article Last Modified on 10/10/2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.1
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was previously published under Q114615

Windows NT allows you to automatically logon a user by specifying the following values in the Registry.

DefaultDomainName
DefaultUserName
DefaultPassword
AutoAdminLogon

After you set up automatic logon, the Window NT Logon dialog box no longer appears at startup. You are then unable to logon as a different user until the automatic logon feature is disabled in the Registry.

However, there are times when you would need to temporarily bypass the automatic logon procedure; for example, when you need to perform an action that the current user does not have permission to do.

To temporarily bypass the automatic logon and bring up the Windows NT Logon dialog box:

Hold down the SHIFT key as Windows NT is starting.

-or-
If you are currently logged on, press CTRL+ALT+DEL, choose Logoff and then immediately hold down the SHIFT key.
NOTE: This does not permanently disable the automatic logon feature. The next time you log off or Windows NT is starting, it will go back to the automatic logon.

For more information on the automatic logon feature, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

automatic and logon
Old 06-15-03, 12:35 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe SpinDizzy is trying to say he doesn't know the admin password to an existing NT installation. Therefore he can't get in to run a new installation.

If you don't know the password (or even if you do) the preferred way to do a reinstall would be to set your BIOS to allow booting from the CD-ROM and install from the original NT CD-ROM. If you installed from within NT you wouldn't be able to reformat the disk.
Old 06-15-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spin,

If the existing NT system is installed in a FAT parition, you can bootup from a Windows 98 bootdisk. Goto www.bootdisk.com if you need it. Once you bootup from the disk, goto the c:\winnt\system32\config. Delete the file called SAM. Once you delete the file, boot into NT and login as [/b]administrator[/b]. The password is blank.

If that don't work, follow X's suggestion.
Old 06-15-03, 12:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by X
I believe SpinDizzy is trying to say he doesn't know the admin password to an existing NT installation. Therefore he can't get in to run a new installation.

If you don't know the password (or even if you do) the preferred way to do a reinstall would be to set your BIOS to allow booting from the CD-ROM and install from the original NT CD-ROM. If you installed from within NT you wouldn't be able to reformat the disk.
how can i get access to the BIOS; i'm unable to enter SETUP during bootup... typically hitting the F2 key or Del key. there is no diskette drive on this computer to start from a bootable disk. I'll try the Shift key, and then come back to report.
Old 06-15-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or go the hard way: remove the hard drive and buy a new one or use the old one.
Old 06-15-03, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't there a trick a month or so ago using a WinXP CD to bypass a WinNT or Win2k password?
Old 06-15-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have access to another machine with a CDR or RW drive, you can download the boot CD rom from here (normally done with a boot floppy, but since you don't have one hopefully you have a bootable cd rom)

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Boot to it
and then change the NT admin password to whatever you like