Reload this Page >

PHP/MySQL Tutorials

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PHP/MySQL Tutorials

Old 06-14-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PHP/MySQL Tutorials

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm just looking for a simple, easy-to-read tutorial regarding setting up a basic database.

I run a movie review site and I just want to set up a simple MySQL database with certain characteristics - title, rating, mpaa, review, etc. I then want to set up a very simple PHP page to call from the database the various entries.

Would it be possible to just have:

http://www.movielocity.com/review.php?ID=100 to call a review with the ID of 100?

Would this be relatively easy to do? I'm familiar with HTML, so I don't think a simple PHP page should be that hard to set up.

Anyone want to help me through it? Any easy tutorials so I can figure out what I'm doing in MyPHPAdmin (e.g. integer, tinyint, etc.)?

Thanks much in advance...I should have learned this stuff a few years ago, but I'm lazy
Old 06-14-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both www.mysql.com and www.php.net have really good documentation on their site. The user comments can be really helpful as well. Nowadays, I find that probably 80% of my questions can be answered there.

When I just started working with PHP/MySQL (which wasn't too long ago), I just did a google search. I wish I'd kept links to the good tutorials. I'll see if I can't find them again later.

For right now, though, just be sure to check the dates on the tutorials. Some of them are quite old and the techniques they implement have been deprecated. I learned this the hard way when I wasted about an hour trying to figure out why some sample code wasn't working. It turned out that it relied on PHP register globals which used to be turned on by default, but are now off in newer versions of PHP.

BTW, what you want to do is very simple to implement with PHP/MySQL. If you have at least a rudimentary understanding of basic programming techniques (know what variables, functions, and control structures are) you can easily learn enough to do what you want in a couple days.
Old 06-14-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks - I figure it's a pretty simple database that I want to set up with very simple requirements. After I get it set up, the next step would be to set up a rudimentary search page so the database could be queried by users, but that's not something I need to get done right now.
Old 06-14-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blake, you can also check out http://www.devshed.com & http://www.phpbuilder.com

devshed is probably my favorite quick ref site. I'll second what belboz mentioned, a lot of tutorials use old styles of calling variables, so you will need to mix and match some of the tutorials to fit the most recent version of PHP. There are several people here that use mysql/php, so if you have any questions, you'll probably have pretty good luck getting answers.

Dave
Old 06-15-03, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Blake, this is an excellent tutorial for getting MySQL and PHP up and running correctly and there are some page creation tutorials as well.

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/21/index2a.html
Old 06-16-03, 02:08 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Blake.

If you like, I can offer to help out.

Definetly check out www.phpbuilder.com and www.devshed.com .
Also, www.codewalkers.com is decent.

I find many interesting posts at phpbuilder and devshed. I also check php.net and mysql.com to reference php and mysql functions respectively.

I too am learning PHP/MySql.

I've got a few pages up that took me a while to get going, but so far I am happy with them.

If you want to check out what I've got, main one that would be related to what you want to do, go here.
Old 06-16-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey Vryce Hope the Invaders are doing well...

I've been reading some stuff from devshed, and even though it was written in 2000, it's still quite useful. I'll have too much time on my hands this summer, so I figure I can get a good grasp of the basics and write a simple php/mysql database review site.

Thanks for the phpbuilder & codewalkers links...
Old 06-16-03, 03:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Cool.. those sites should be a big help.

If you run into any stumbling blocks, feel free to email me, or IM me using any of the methods in my profile.