Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Roomate's Crash Killed Hard Drive?

Old 06-13-03, 08:00 PM

Roomate's Crash Killed Hard Drive?

My roomate has been playing Operation Falshpoint on his XP Pro, XP 1800, GeForce4 4600 box. He had a hard time installing the game, and he said that it crashed to an automatic reboot periodically. Then the other night, he said that it crashed and while rebooting, XP would not load. Upon closer inspection, the drive is detected during post, but cannot be accessed. We suspect that the file allocation table (is it still called this with NTFS?) is corrupt. He tried the revert to last known stable setup, booting to safe mode, and the recovery console, but nothig worked. He could not try the auto system recovery option, because he had not used the backup tool. I would slap the drive in my PC to see if I could get any data, but I'm afraid that a virus may have caused this instead of the game. Any ideas before he has to format and reinstall? He said that it has been a long time since he backed up is data. At least this is a reminder to me, and you, to backup often! Thanks guys!
Old 06-13-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like heating issues and a failing hard drive.