Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

can someone tell me if this is a good pop up blocker?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-12-03, 12:44 PM

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...ml?tag=lst-3-2

anyone know if it comes with some type of spyware or logger?
Old 06-12-03, 12:54 PM

Don't know about that one, there are quite a few out there.

use pop-up stopper, it's free and it's good.
Old 06-12-03, 02:34 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second the Pop-up stopper!
Old 06-12-03, 03:13 PM

I use Opera and have the option to choose Accept/Refuse/requested pop up windows
Old 06-12-03, 04:05 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ever since I switched to Mozilla Firebird I havn't seen a pop-up ad.
Old 06-12-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yep never see them on safari..
Old 06-12-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok...how about a "Free" pop up blocker. I was using Proximitron...it gave me a couple random errors after awhile. Also by the time I got the settings I liked (being able to see flash, the right links,etc )90% of the functionality was off.

Any other suggestions for a free one?

-pedagogue

ps. I have a copy of Black Diamond..(think that is the name)...but I am spoiled with the IE look....however since I turned off Proximitron...these pop ups are driving me nuts. (Screw you loan companies, car companies, electronic companies, X10, Double Click, etc)
Old 06-13-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pedagogue
Ok...how about a "Free" pop up blocker. I was using Proximitron...it gave me a couple random errors after awhile. Also by the time I got the settings I liked (being able to see flash, the right links,etc )90% of the functionality was off.

Any other suggestions for a free one?

-pedagogue

ps. I have a copy of Black Diamond..(think that is the name)...but I am spoiled with the IE look....however since I turned off Proximitron...these pop ups are driving me nuts. (Screw you loan companies, car companies, electronic companies, X10, Double Click, etc)
Well, "free" is quite subjective Depends on where your morality compass is pointing towards.

For me, i've championed Meaya's product, PopUp Ad Filter for quite some time. Meaya

Before getting Meaya I had tried pretty much everything out there and they all had their strengths and weaknesses. I've found Meaya to be the best at blocking out pretty much everything. When it blocks out something that I need to access I can tell right away from the flashing icon and then it's very easy to turn it off temporarily so I can do what I gotta do and then turn it back on when i'm done.

While it's not perfect it's what i'm using nowadays.
Old 06-13-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I usually recommand NOT to use the pop up blockers since it does effect your web browsing of sites. I just suggest to folks to maintain your computer with ad-aware or something of the such every few days if pop ups get to be such a problem.
Old 06-13-03, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.analogx.com

POW! In my opinion the best pop-up blocker out there - you have to train it, but it does a great job. If a window pops up, just add it to the blocked list - that way you don't get the ones you don't want and do get the ones you do.

YMMV
Old 06-13-03, 08:13 AM

pedagogue
did you bother reading any of the posts?
Pop-blocker IS free...
Old 06-13-03, 11:10 AM

i used analog's pow for a while until someone in my household accidentally added sites i used alot to the list...was a pain to sort it out so i just uninstalled it...thanks all for the replies
Old 06-13-03, 07:41 PM

I was never very satisfied with the various popup killers I tried. Then I installed Mozilla a few weeks ago. It works great for this! When browsing a certain genre of sites Mozilla works like a charm! However, Mozill still lacks a few features of IE that I like, so I still use IE about 20% of the time.

Off Topic: Does anyone know if there is a similar shortcut in Mozilla to add "www" and ".com" to the address bar (CTRL-ENTER in IE)? Also, is there a way to unlock the toolbars and rearrange them in Mozilla, allowing one to increase screen size? These are my top two "problems" from switching to Mozilla. Thanks!