Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wierd funky video problem

Old 06-12-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wierd funky video problem

Running Windows ME (yeah yeah, I know..can't afford to upgrade right now) on a AMD 1.3ghz (which is only actually running at 1.0ghz..anothe subject) with a Geforce2.

I was crashing a LOT so I reinstalled windows. Unfortunetly I lost my actual windows CD during my last move, so instead of doing a clean reinstall, I just ran the setup program again and let it update from the .CAB files. After doing that my Geforce 4 MX wasn't working correctly, so I went to reinstall the drivers. I DL'd the newest set from NVIDIA and installed them, however they did not work at all, got nothing but a black screen.

So, I tried to reinstall an earlier driver version I had on the computer, but that didn't work either. It kept saying there were 1 or more files missing.

Finally I gave up, reinstalled my old Geforce2, still had problems with drivers, but managed to get it to boot up in more then 16 colors. So right now I'm running at 800x600 at 256 colors.

Here's the wierd part. Everything seems to run fine now, I can even run a game that would always crash within a few seconds before. However, if I try to change the resolution, it crashes immediatly (even before I make the actual change)

If I right click the desktop, hit properties, then settings, then advanced...as soon as I do, poof, black screen, system lock up. I've also tried to change the resolution through NVIDIA's TSR program, but once again, as soon as I hit properties, I crash. Like I said, it's crashing even BEFORE I actually make the change, just going to that menu immediatly crashes me.

Any idea?