Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dell 600m vs. D600???

Old 06-12-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dell 600m vs. D600???

OK getting down to the nitty gritty on deciding on a laptop. New deals start today hopefully and lots of coupons out there.

What are the differences between the 600m and D600? I had settled on the 600m. However, I see the D600 has dual pointing devises. I'm use to the earser head style on by my work and personal IBM's.

Any suggestions? These are both pretty much over kill for my needs, but I like the size of these. Also like the long life of the Centrino chips and the built in wireless.

I am looking at the Dell site. It appears they are almost identical machines. Tho I'm not sure of the video on the D600.

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-12-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk God

the obvious difference between the two..
one is a latitude and the other is a inspiron

most of my support experience is with the latitude.. because from what i understand, the latitude is generally considered more of a work laptop, while the inspiron is more of a home machine..

and you hit one of the nails right on the head with the video.. since the inspiron is a home machine, it normally have a nicer vid card.

of course, when you go to purchase.. dont forget to use the dvdtalk affiliate links.. and if you purchase through the small business section, you get a better price
Old 06-12-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks twikoff

I'm still looking (deals today are ok, but not as good as I had hoped). But even considering "dropping down" to the D500. It looks like the D600 has the same video at the 600m (mobility). However, I had really settled on the 600m due to std 30gig HD and no charge wireless. The upgraded video was just a nice bonus.

(every time I had configured a 600m and 500m the same they were less then $50 apart)

However, the D500 comes with built in wireless and a 30 gig HD is only a $29.00 extra. So if I can live with the built in video (shared memory I believe) then I could save some money.

Yes I know the mobility video is nice and depending on the coupons I find, might go the D600 route.

Pretty excited about that stupid earser head. Been using IBM laptops for 7 years now. Been playing with those touch pads at the stores, but seem really odd to me. I sure it is a getting "use" to it thing. But since will continue to use IBM's at work, would be nice to have the same pointer...
Old 06-12-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh damm. I spoke to soon. There is a new 15% off code for inspiron's only that is stackable with other 15% off codes. So guess it is back to the 600m. Might get bluetooth and a wireless optical mouse to go with it. That would solve the touchpad issue
Old 06-12-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

just to make sure..

your not planning to use VPN with this, right?

from what i understand.. there are currently some MAJOR design flaws that causes serious problems with the Centrino chip running many vpn applications
Old 06-12-03, 06:41 PM

i went for the 600m today myself. been lookin at that one for a while and couldn't pass up free shipping + two 15% off coupons + $150 rebate + double memory upgrade for +3% fatwallet cashback. i mean it was too good. here's what i ended up with for around $1000:

Pentium 1.4 Centrino Proc.
14.1SXGA+ monitor
ATI 64MB Video GFX card
512MB RAM
30G HDD
Dell TrueMobile™1300 WLAN (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) miniPCI Card
8X Max DVD Drive
etc.

All in all i think its a pretty good setup, especially for a computer thats supposed to way around 5 lbs.

Anyone who already has the 600m care to share their experience with it?
Old 06-12-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by twikoff
just to make sure..

from what i understand.. there are currently some MAJOR design flaws that causes serious problems with the Centrino chip running many vpn applications
Sure typical TWIKOFF. Runs in, stirs up trouble and runs back out

What is VPN? - Is that the virtual personal network? I have have set up on my main home computer so my wife can do work for the company she works for.

I do have a wireless network in the house. And I may hook my WORK laptop to our cable modem and that would need the VPN (our new IBM will be set up that way). But I'm not sure I would need to set up THIS Dell in a personal network.
Old 06-13-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tonytapez
i went for the 600m today myself. been lookin at that one for a while and couldn't pass up free shipping + two 15% off coupons + $150 rebate + double memory upgrade for +3% fatwallet cashback. i mean it was too good. here's what i ended up with for around $1000:

Pentium 1.4 Centrino Proc.
14.1SXGA+ monitor
ATI 64MB Video GFX card
512MB RAM
30G HDD
Dell TrueMobile™1300 WLAN (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) miniPCI Card
8X Max DVD Drive
etc.

All in all i think its a pretty good setup, especially for a computer thats supposed to way around 5 lbs.

Anyone who already has the 600m care to share their experience with it?
That does look like a nice set up. Tho I didn't price your set up, it looks like it would be about $1575 or so and take good advantage of all coupons.

Be aware the notes at the web site say free double memory OR rebate. Tho doesn't show an error when you select both. But guess you saw that at Fatwallet as well. I don't think at this point I do the double memory. I can alway add some from Crucial later.

You went with the SXGA+ lot of talk about that over at the Dell forum. Some would have nothing else, while other didn't like it. Do you do a lot a graphic's? Since mine would be mainly my "road" personal laptop (I also have a work laptop). Will be doing a ton of net surfing. So sticking with the XGA. I'll go with the combo drive, 1.4GHz, floppy and wieght saver module.

That puts me like at 1504. before all the discounts, rebate etc. Right now I have a 10% coupon thanks to scanman20. If I can score a 15% off without to much trouble, then might add one or two more items.
Old 06-13-03, 07:45 AM

yeah, i figured i'd take the chance on the rebate.

what are people saying about the displays? whats the difference between the sxga+ and the xga. it was only a $50 upgrade so i figured why not.
Old 06-13-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, i figured i'd take the chance on the rebate.

what are people saying about the displays? whats the difference between the sxga+ and the xga. it was only a $50 upgrade so i figured why not.
I'm no expert. There are others here that would know better. But if I read the forum's correctly at Fatwallet and at Dell the SXGA+ is sharper no doubt. But evidently many things are smaller (I guess they can be smaller since they are sharper), such as fonts, icon's, etc. And some have complained that web pages do not load in a way people are use to on the SXGA+. Those who have answered other about the SXGA+ have usually asked "do you have good eye's" which I took to meant if you had good vision go with the SXGA+

Since I have terrible vision, and probably 70-75% of my usage will be on the Web, I'm sticking with the XGA. From what I gather it really is not an issue of "which is better" but "which do you prefer". Some I have read would have nothing but a SXGA+. Several have suggested going to a CompUSA or other computer store and seeing if you can look at a XGA and SXGA+ side by side.

Again, I consider myself a computer novice. So I highly recommend you get input from others or go read some of the forum's yourself before making any changes to your order.
Old 06-13-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

64mb video memory or 40 gig HD?

Got a question re: upgrades on the Dell,

Was going to stick with the basic's on the 600m, but to get the 15% off need to add a couple of small upgrades. What does going to 64MB on the video memory get you? Does it enhance or assist with DVD playback? Does is speed up web page loading?(I'm getting a combo drive).

I don't do art/graphics and just getting into digital photography. Looks like both 64mb upgrad and 40gig HD upgrade are both $79.00. I know for these discounts available I should get both. But, I'm really trying to stick as close to my self imposed budget of $1000.00 as possible.

Oh, and can you just buy some 32mb memory for the video at a later time? Or is that not upgradable later?
Old 06-13-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Sure typical TWIKOFF. Runs in, stirs up trouble and runs back out

What is VPN? - Is that the virtual personal network? I have have set up on my main home computer so my wife can do work for the company she works for.

I do have a wireless network in the house. And I may hook my WORK laptop to our cable modem and that would need the VPN (our new IBM will be set up that way). But I'm not sure I would need to set up THIS Dell in a personal network.

yea, virtual private network
I havent actually read about it.. just some of my tech buddies were talking about articles they had read.. supposably there is a design flaw with the chip and that vpn software causes constant bluescreens.. and to the point that the articles were written, no solution was available..

not sure what the current situation is.. but you might want to look into that first
Old 06-13-03, 12:15 PM

Re: 64mb video memory or 40 gig HD?

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Got a question re: upgrades on the Dell,

Was going to stick with the basic's on the 600m, but to get the 15% off need to add a couple of small upgrades. What does going to 64MB on the video memory get you? Does it enhance or assist with DVD playback? Does is speed up web page loading?(I'm getting a combo drive).

I don't do art/graphics and just getting into digital photography. Looks like both 64mb upgrad and 40gig HD upgrade are both $79.00. I know for these discounts available I should get both. But, I'm really trying to stick as close to my self imposed budget of $1000.00 as possible.

Oh, and can you just buy some 32mb memory for the video at a later time? Or is that not upgradable later?
well, assuming that you plan to use this laptop mainly for surfing the web and e-mail when ur on the road, i think you should be fine with the 32mb video card. if yo plan on doin any gaming u should probably go with the 64mb version. unfortunatly it isn't possible to upgrade video memory later so ur going to have to make his decision now. also, the xga display maxes out at 1024x780 resolution i believe, so 32megs should be sufficient in that area.
Old 06-13-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info. I just missed your post and already ordered with the 64 MG video. Not a big deal at all. I would not have upgraded either except I needed to up the price for one of the coupons. Both upgrade are overkill for my needs. I had to order pretty quick as I was going to be out of pocket most of the rest of the day and the one coupon expires today.

I ended up with:

Pentium M 1.3Ghz, 14.1 XGA ATI 64MB Video
256 DDR
30 gig HD
Modular Floppy
XP - Home
56K/Network card
Combo drive
Intel 2100 WLAN
48WHr Batthery
1 year warranty
Bluetood internal card
$150 rebate

-228.75 (15%off systems over 1499)
-194.44 (15%off e-mail coupon code)
+0 (free shipping)
+61.70 (tax)

Net shipped $1,163.51. -$150.00 rebate net final price = 1013.51

I skipped the "free" double memory upgrade. Did not want to risk loosing the $150 rebate. I may order some memory from Crucial. And I just realized I didn't do any ObeseCash or ******. Ah well. Still a nice deal.

I do need the floppy as I transfer a lot of stuff between my work and personal computer. Went with Bluetooth for a wireless mouse and hopefully future use (cell phone maybe??). I have a "b" wireless set up at home, and can't imagine doing very much if any wireless transer of files. Wireless would be for net surfing only, so saw no need to go "b/g". I don't really do extended warranties as a rule. I do individually insure my laptop thru my the company that does my homeowners insurance.
Old 06-13-03, 01:12 PM

don't worry, ur probably better off with the 64mb card anyway. and i think i saw that the dell store has 256mb ram upgrade for the 600m for around 30 bucks. unfortunatly since you got the initial 256 its gonna come in 128 mb x 2 chips, so u'll have to remove one chip to input the new 256. i didn't want that hassle.
Old 06-15-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by twikoff
just to make sure..

Hey Twikoff. I just discovered a work e-mail indicating our new work laptops (IBM X31) will have VPN set up. If I'm not mistaken the X31 uses the centrino chip. I don't have any other details yet, except we are to get the computers this fall. I work for a large company and would have thought any conflict would have been discovered by now. Could this have been resolved???

I have no plans to use my Dell in a VPN. But was interesting that within a day or two of you mentioning it I found an e-mail indicating would we would have it.
Old 06-15-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

don't worry, ur probably better off with the 64mb card anyway. and i think i saw that the dell store has 256mb ram upgrade for the 600m for around 30 bucks. unfortunatly since you got the initial 256 its gonna come in 128 mb x 2 chips, so u'll have to remove one chip to input the new 256. i didn't want that hassle.
Thanks for the input. Since the video is NOT upgradable and the HD is, I'm happy with the choice I made. I'm just getting into digital photography and while I like MP3's on my laptop, I don't usually have a ton on there. So, 30 gig HD should be fine for me. But if not, I can upgrade that later
Old 06-15-03, 06:02 PM

The VPN issue mainly has to do with users having a Centrino laptop (meaning the cpu AND then wireless card) and companies which user Nortel Contivity routers and softwares for their VPN solution.

The problem lies with the intel software used with the wireless card. Intel is supposedly working on a fix.

As far as difference in SVGA+ and XGA.....

The native resolution for SVGA+ is 1400x1050 while the native resolution for XGA is 1024x768.

They use different LCD for each resolution. So... if you like higher resolution and having smaller fonts and more desktop space, SVGA+ is the way to go.

If you are more used to having larger icons and etc, XGA is the way to go.

Now this is not the say that each of the screens cannot run in other resolutions.... They can, but the picture does look softer and unfocused.
Old 06-15-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Darthkim
The VPN issue mainly has to do with users having a Centrino laptop (meaning the cpu AND then wireless card) and companies which user Nortel Contivity routers and softwares for their VPN solution.

The problem lies with the intel software used with the wireless card. Intel is supposedly working on a fix.

As far as difference in SVGA+ and XGA.....

The native resolution for SVGA+ is 1400x1050 while the native resolution for XGA is 1024x768.

They use different LCD for each resolution. So... if you like higher resolution and having smaller fonts and more desktop space, SVGA+ is the way to go.

If you are more used to having larger icons and etc, XGA is the way to go.

Now this is not the say that each of the screens cannot run in other resolutions.... They can, but the picture does look softer and unfocused.
Thanks for the info....
Old 06-16-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow...ordered friday mid-morning, already showing to shipping! No tracking number yet. Dell site says that will take another 24-48 hrs to get.

Geeze...with the amount of orders they had to have received, I'm impressed with the speed. It does say order status was updated at 5:45am. So guess some folks are working overtime.
Old 06-16-03, 02:25 PM

wow that is pretty fast. mine still is listed as In Production on the order status page. and i ordered late afternoon on Thursday. did you choose the free shipping option? do you remember what your estimated ship date was before the laptop shipped?

the only thing i could think of that would hold up mine from shipping is the SXGA+ screen, which sometimes is backordered.

guess i'll have to be in suspense a little longer then. keep us updated when it arrives and your impressions of it.
Old 06-16-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wow that is pretty fast. mine still is listed as In Production on the order status page. and i ordered late afternoon on Thursday. did you choose the free shipping option? do you remember what your estimated ship date was before the laptop shipped?

the only thing i could think of that would hold up mine from shipping is the SXGA+ screen, which sometimes is backordered.

guess i'll have to be in suspense a little longer then. keep us updated when it arrives and your impressions of it.
Wow, due to your post I went and checked again. Here is timeline:

-Friday mid-morning ordered (free shipping option)
-Less then 10 minutes later I received both an order acknowledgement AND order confirmation (with customer/order numbers). This had a ship date of June 26, 2003. Web site showed shipping aprox July 1.
-By friday night it had go thru all of production
-Monday (this morning) showed sent to carrier no other info
-Now shows the following:
Package Shipped on 6/16/2003
Stage: En Route
Carrier: AIRBORNE EXPRESS
Delivery Estimate: June 19 - June 23
Your tracking number will be provided when your shipment arrives at the carrier's regional center. This can take 48-72 hours. Please check back to obtain your tracking number through this tool.

Much quicker then expected. You may be right I have seen on occasion at the Dell sight where it says "selecting this time may delay your oder" next to the SXGA+ upgrade. I kinda wish I took the chance on the double memory.

Order Detail
I600M,14.1 IN XGA,1.3 GHZ, W/64MB VID
256MB,DDR,266MHZ 2 DIMMS,I600M
30GB HARD DRIVE, I600M 30GBPP
MODULAR FLOPPY DRIVE,I600M
WINDOWS XP HOME SP1,ENGLISH
RESOURCE - CD WITH TOOLS
DELL SUPPORT 2.0 FOR INSPIRON 4300
INTERNAL 56K MDM AND NIC
IVI SW DVD 4.0 FACTORY INSTALL,INSP
COMBO - DVD/CD-RW
INTEL PRO 2100 MINIPCI WIRELESS CARD,INS
MCAFEE.COM,OEM,ENG,90DAY,INSP
48W PRIMARY BATTERY I600M
REALONE PLAYER BASIC,V6,TIED,ENG
WORDPERFECT PROD PK W/QNUE BRITNCA,INSP
NO WARRANTY,YRS 2/3(1-1-1RTD)
RTD,INSP,SOL,INIT YR, BSD (HIGH-2)
NO ISP REQUESTED
$150 MAIL-IN REBATE 40603
TM300,BLUETOOTH,INTERNAL WRLS CARD

Sub-Total $1,101.81
Shipping $0.00
Tax $61.71
Total Price $1,163.52
Old 06-18-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unbelievable! I got my computer this morning! Ordered friday with free shipping and here today. Gotta love that.

Just got it an hour or so ago. Still setting up and playing (Win XP is new for me).

Fit/Finish seem great. No ripples from touching or moving the lid as some have reported. The lid seems stiff to open/close. You really have to hold the main computer down when opening/closing. But suppose this is better then too loose. No noise from the power supply as some have reported. And the fan kicked in when I was watching a DVD and didn't seem overly loud. No louder then my work IBM 660. Tho the fan only stayed on a minute or two so hard to tell. So far have not noticed any part of the computer being warm/hot (tho plugged in less then 2 hours)

Just watched a section of Die Another Day on it. Very good. I got XGA, but the screen is bright and clear.

The only initial problem I'm having is that my wireless connection droppes every few minutes. I click on the network icon which showes unavailable, click connect and the connection comes back. For a few minutes. Not sure if it is a conflict or if I set it up wrong.

More as I move along.
Old 06-18-03, 09:01 PM

good to hear Sdallnct. lookin forward to hearing more of your impressions. as for my order its still "in production"...where its been since friday.
Old 06-19-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jeez, that's an amazing deal compared to Canadians.

Do you know that an identical system like yours goes for double the price from Dell.ca?

I think i'm going to order from Dell.com next time for a laptop.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.