Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sony DRU500AX

Old 06-11-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony DRU500AX

Is it any good? I'm going to start converting all of my family movies onto DVD, but dont want to struggle with the discs not playing in my (or others) dvd player. They say this burner gives you the option of selecting either + or -, so it should make dvds that can play in any dvd players.

any reviews?
Old 06-12-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk God

since noone else took this... Ill toss in my 2 cents

i dont think you will find anything negative said about the DRU500AX, with the exception of the price..

if you are willing to spend the money for it.. you will be getting a great universal burner.. of course.. there are other universal burners that are a little cheaper.. but the sony is the most popular right now..

it definitly gives you both -r and +r.. if thats what your looking for
of course.. most people have found that a -r will play in anything you try, and costs about half the price

and of course.. more companies are just now getting into the universal format.. so in theory, the prices should be dropping.. but that will always be the case with computer accessories