Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Kazaa "supreme being" hackers

Old 06-11-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kazaa "supreme being" hackers

Kazza tracks your upload to download ratio and gives preference to those with a higher ratio when there is a queue for a file.

There is a hack out there to make your ratio rating 1000 and keep it there so you always are first in line.

I hate this and cancel uploads when I see they have a 1000 rating but the problem is they just start downloading the file instantly again. Is there any way to block all 1000 rating users?
Old 06-11-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
so If I change my ratio rating to 999, will you finally let me download that file. j/k
Old 06-11-03, 10:20 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a way to get their IP? If you use a software firewall like ZoneAlarm Pro, you can completely ban IPs.
Old 06-11-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
The latest version of Kazaa lite makes everyone that uses it 1000.

So, in that case, you are penalizing people just for keeping their software upgraded...
Old 06-11-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah kazaa lite is great. Thank you speedup.
Old 06-11-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use the lite version to avoid the spyware and as a result it sets me at 1000 on it's own.

I'd hate to think I'd be banned for it.
Old 06-11-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really? I thought I had the newest version and I'm stuck at 5-10 all the time.

Edit: looks like I do indeed have an older version. Time to upgrade and become another annoying 1000 rated user.

Last edited by asabase; 06-11-03 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 01:25 PM

I hate this and cancel uploads when I see they have a 1000 rating but the problem is they just start downloading the file instantly again. Is there any way to block all 1000 rating users?
I'm not sure I understand why you would want to block someone based on their rating.

But, I occassionally will cancel uploads to people who are slowing my download speed dramatically - and I notice as soon as I cancel them, they start to upload again (within 3 seconds or so). What I usually do is minimize the shared folder and kazaalite, cancel the upload, tab over to the other wondow quick and rename the file - throw a letter on the end or something. Then when they try to reconnect, the file isn't there (for them). I will always send the user a PM asking for them to look elsewhere, or maybe to wait until my download is done, but in my experience they either dont care or reply that they dont care.
Old 06-11-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
The latest version of Kazaa lite makes everyone that uses it 1000.
So, in that case, you are penalizing people just for keeping their software upgraded...

Originally posted by nazz
I use the lite version to avoid the spyware and as a result it sets me at 1000 on it's own.
I'd hate to think I'd be banned for it.
The latest version of Kazaa Lite also has the option to turn off the automatic 1000 setting. It's under Options->More Options->K++ Options; take the checkmark out of Cheat.
Old 06-11-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally posted by goatweed
...reply that they dont care.
In these cases, simply rename something pretty bad to what they are trying to download, like the Madonna mp3 of her asking "What the f*** do you think you're doing?", or anything by Eminem.
Old 06-11-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, new version has "supreme being" enabled automatically. Besides, you can check out what kind of files that person has available for download and see if they are doing their p2p part of if they are just leeching and moving their downloaded contents to another inaccessible folder.

So, a person with a 1000 rating and has only a few files is either not making their files available or they just installed the new version of KL and haven't built up their library yet.
Old 06-11-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by goatweed
I'm not sure I understand why you would want to block someone based on their rating.

But, I occassionally will cancel uploads to people who are slowing my download speed dramatically - and I notice as soon as I cancel them, they start to upload again (within 3 seconds or so). What I usually do is minimize the shared folder and kazaalite, cancel the upload, tab over to the other wondow quick and rename the file - throw a letter on the end or something. Then when they try to reconnect, the file isn't there (for them). I will always send the user a PM asking for them to look elsewhere, or maybe to wait until my download is done, but in my experience they either dont care or reply that they dont care.
Why not just change your allowed uploads to "1" and downgrade the upload speed to 24 or 32?

I allow many uploads, usually 10, but I limit my upload bandwith to 64 or 128 so as to give everyone a even shot at getting my files. Sometimes I will give unlimited upload bandwith when i'm getting to the end of the month and I know if I have lots of upload bandwith left.

Having DSL helps too.
Old 06-12-03, 01:43 PM
Banned

I'm called a K-lite master (1000)
Old 06-12-03, 10:01 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Gee, upset about someone cheating you on downloading your illegal files. Pathetic. This is like one of those guys who calls the police to report stolen drugs. Face it-- unless you are a one-in-a-million person, you are illegally sharing copyrighted material such as music, video, photos, or software. And you are expecting some sort of "fairness" or "rules" to be obeyed by those who are willing to download stolen material? You think as a distributer of stolen material you have the "right" to demand fairness? Please.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 06-12-03 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-13-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You sound like my girlfriend when she's in a really bitchy mood and I've done some minuscule thing that has pissed her off.
Old 06-13-03, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by shaun3000

You sound like my girlfriend when she's in a really bitchy mood and I've done some minuscule thing that has pissed her off.
But I'm 100% correct.
Old 06-13-03, 08:40 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

not every file available for download is illegal.
Old 06-13-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris

No he is 100% correct!
Old 06-13-03, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Save Ferris
If you had READ my post, you would have seen that I didn't say every file available was-- "unless you are a one-in-a-million person". So, one out of every million users isn't doing it for illegal files, and one out of a million files isn't illegal.
Old 06-14-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow.

This thread makes me glad that I stick to community based filesharing programs. If someone told me that they didn't care on my own hub, I'd permaban him.