Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Transferring outlook express files (win98) to Outlook (winxp)?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-11-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

Ok, I've had this problem a couple of times already and this time I'd really like to save my data if it's at all possible.

Basically, I wasn't able to export my files out of outlook express under windows 98 SE. My video card died, I bought a new one and popped it in, but then accidentally uninstalled my old drivers too early and killed some vital windows 98 file. I rebooted under my windows XP partition -- works fine except it wouldn't get online and backed up all my important "my documents" data and outlook express "identities" from the windows folder.

So then my friends and I reformatted my main drive and did a clean install of windows XP and office and all of that. Now Outlook (XP version) is on my system and my friends recommend that as a primary mail program -- for hotmail -- over outlook express.

Now I'd really really like to either save my previous message folders (thousands of letters, transactions, mailing list correspondence, etc), or at the very least be able to view my address book to copy out my needed contacts.
Is there any way to do this if all I have are the .dbx files from my win98 directory - corresponding to the mail directories I had on my computer? Is there a way to reinstall outlook express or another program to be able to open the files and read them or am I completely and utterly screwed?

thanks a lot,
Tuan Jim