Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best DVD authoring software?

Old 06-11-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best DVD authoring software?

So i just bought the Pioneer 105 -R drive and heard that the software that comes with it isnt all that great, so i am looking for a good program for making menus with a lot of options....any ideas?
Old 06-11-03, 01:35 AM

Keep your eye peeled on Adobe Encore http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/main.html PC only.

Looks promising but it's spendy at $500.

If you need something cheaper I believe Sonic Solutions sells a program called myDvd http://www.mydvd.com/
Old 06-11-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How many options are you talking about? Ulead's DVD Movie Factory is pretty nice, but the menus are pretty simplistic.
Old 06-11-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, i havent looked at the included programs with the drive, but i would like the ability to make chapter buttons with video instead of just pics and just nice looking set-ups..you can tell its my first time making dvds ill be getting it today..ill have to check the included software out..
Old 06-11-03, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want video included, you might be spending some big cash.

I've tried out just about every authoring program you can name (except TMPGEnc DVD Author, that's next) and have found the best combination of price and features that actually works would be Ulead's DVD Movie Factory just as Blake suggested.

Ulead DVD Work Shop is it's big brother and it has a lot more features, at 4 times the price though.
Old 06-11-03, 07:26 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

myDVD has the option of making a menu with video. You don't have control over button placement tho, my one gripe.
Old 06-11-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew
the best combination of price and features that actually works would be Ulead's DVD Movie Factory just as Blake suggested.

I will third this recommendation. For basic DVD creation, this is the best.
Old 06-11-03, 01:50 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDMaestro is probably the best there is. Unfortunately, it is no longer being developed since Apple bought its maker Spruce Technologies. Also, it is/was used by professional DVD authors (i.e. the people that make what the DVDs we buy on Tuesdays) and carried a very hefty price tag (couple grand I think). However, pretty much every other authoring program is kids' stuff compared to it (except Sonic Scenarist, which is also used by pros but not nearly as user friendly from what I understand).

One exception and the best up and coming software is probably DVDLab at http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html . It has a very similar look and feel to DVDMaestro and most of its features plus some. However, like most consumer packages it doesn't support advanced features like multiple audio tracks etc. that DVDMaestro does (though it might later). The author of DVDLab is very responsive to his customers' needs and updates the software regularly. It costs $79 right now as an intro price but will be $99 soon. A trial is available.

DVD Workshop and the other "wizard-driven" type authoring apps are good for some things, but they are currently very limited in what you can do in terms of customization. Therefore, it is impossible to create a very professional-looking DVD with it.

The following guide offers a useful (if somewhat dated) comparison of some of the authoring packages out there: http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdauthoring.htm .