Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wireless Networking Hardware Needs, and Q's...

Old 06-10-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wireless Networking Hardware Needs, and Q's...

Hey All,

Need to setup a wireless network for SterinAtU's house. They have 2 laptops, and just got a cable modem installed. The cable line is running into the cable modem, then a cat5 line is running into a docking station of one of the laptops. I suggested getting a wireless router and wireless network card so the other laptop can roam free...because there is no feasible way to run cable. (The laptops are running Win98...unsure of the brand of cable modem)

I need suggestions for inexpensive hardware. Also would like some easy instructions I could e-mail. SterinAtU is pretty computer savvy, but she isn't big on hardware. What are the default setting for the best security? WEP, etc. They don't have a whole lot of people around them...but better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

-pedagogue

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 06-10-03 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 06:18 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With D-Link's release of the new DI-624+ wireless router, the DI-614+ can be found pretty cheap both on-line and B&M. I've been using the 614+ router with a DWL-650+ (not the regular 650) PCMCIA card on my laptop pretty successfully for quite some time. Recent firmware upgrades (available at the Dlink website) seem to help the range of both products considerably.

Also, with the recent firmware upgrade, I was able to utilize 256 bit encryption. Although all of the security such as WEP, SSID, etc. can be eventually bypassed by a determined and experienced hacker, the more layers of security you have the better of a deterrent it is. Its recommended that you enable WEP, SSID, and use MAC level access. If possible, also use a software firewall (many are available for free such as Zone Alarm).

In terms of directions...the Dlink (as many other mnfg. have pretty good online help)...check out Dlink's instructions regarding the 614+ (http://support.dlink.com/techtool/Br...asp?RowID=730#).

Checkout Wireless Planet (http://www.80211-planet.com/) for some good info, tutorials, etc.

BTW, both the 614 and 624 are 802.11b...I suggest that only because its the broadest application and compatability and is the cheapest.

Last edited by ngp; 06-12-03 at 07:01 AM.