Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

windows XP problem????

Old 06-10-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

windows XP problem????

is this a win. xp problem?

after about 10 to 20 minutes online i am getting the "cannot find server"/"cannot load page" error whenever i try to open a site. once this happens nothing works right. the printer loses connection, the modem gets extremely slow while disconnecting and i will not be able to enter MSN until i restart the comp. and when i try to reboot the computer i get a "program is not responding" for something called MCI command...

i called MSN support and they thought it was a problem with win. XP. i know a lot of people hate it, etc. but so far we haven't had any problems. what do you think?

here's the technical info:

MSN 8 ISP
windows XP
dial-up modem
internet explorer

BTW, i recently installed my dell axim pda to the computer

*edited to add:* i also began noticing the problem when MSN made some changes to the email system.

Last edited by hgar78; 06-10-03 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check the event viewer in Control Panel->Admin tools->e. viewer. See anything odd? Red x/yellow "!". right click-> properties for details. Explain a bit more on what you mean by the MCI command.
Old 06-10-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ranger
Explain a bit more on what you mean by the MCI command.
i can't really...i have no idea what it is. it just pops up saying it isn't responding and would i like to end it now. i wasn't familiar with it or what it does. i'll try to write down the specifics when it happens again.
Old 06-10-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ranger, i see a lot of red Xs and yellow !s

source for many are "application hang", some are content index corruptions, "perfdisk" and "perfnet".
Old 06-10-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Open a DOS Prompt and type chkdsk /f /r and it will prompt you to reboot to repair the errors.

*Edit*
After checkdisk runs you'll probaly want to double click my computer.. Right click your hard drive and choose properties and then choose to Defragment the Drive.

Last edited by cubanx; 06-10-03 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you try cubanx's suggestion? Did it fix the problem? The error signs in the event viewer, do they all related to one application? or several? It could be many issues. Like I said, right click the error signs for some clues, or if you're unsure what it means, copy (highlight and press CTRL+C) the messages and paste/post them here.

If you want to save yourself some time and headaches, just format and reinstall windows.
Old 06-11-03, 08:57 AM
Cool New Member

Try this. Even though it is for Win2K, it should apply to WinXP as well.

You may find that the default performance monitors that Windows 2000 runs give error messages in Event Viewer. By default Windows 2000 runs many performance monitors in the background, including disk, system and network performance. If you get any error messages relating to any of the performance counters such as perfmon, perfnet, perfdisk, perfctrs (including the common error: Unable to read IO control information from NBT device) you can manually disable the individual monitors using the programme exctrlst.exe, in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. The file can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win2000/exctrlst.zip. Simply run the programme, and uncheck the Performance Counters Enabled box against any counters you wish to disable.
Old 06-11-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the advice so far. this is the 1st time i've been able to successfully get back on so i'll try these things once it knocks me off again.

btw ranger, the MCI message was "MCI command handling window"...it wasn't shutting down properly yet, i have no idea what it is!
Old 06-11-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really can't help much, since I'm still not familar with that MCI error. But some tips for general maintenance - proably would help in other thread too. Usually fixes the common problems and freeze-ups.
1. Install Adaware.
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2
2. Uninstall all the unwanted programs and delete all the folders and unneeded files.
3. Download and install Regclean -
http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml
4. Boot in safe mode, for me, the command is F8, tap it a few times right before the XP flower boot up comes on.
5. Start->Run->msconfig - startup tab, disable everything, except the virus-scanner and rundll32.exe
6. Run adaware, make sure it is updated.
7. Run Regcleaner - options->registry clean-up method->check automatic and go to OLE Cleanup->extra powerful. then go to tools->registry clean up-> do them all.
8. After all that, defrag the hard drive.
Old 06-13-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok, so i spoke to someone at MSN support last night and after trying a few things he relized it wasn't a problem with MSN. instead during the last thing he tried he relized my TCP/IP protocol was acting corrupt. also we tried running the code "netsh int ip reset nul" and nothing happened. he said that really wasn't good and asked if my comp. was still under warranty. told me to call dell support or the wind. xp people.

called dell. while i was on hold for 30 minutes (!) i tried restoring my computer to last thursday's settings. this is the day before all this started happening. once i got a technichian on the phone he tried a few things as well. i can't really tell you what we did b/c he never seemed to follow thru with his thoughts. we'd start something, like reinstalling windows, then he'd stop and have me try something else. i think the last thing we did was uncheck all the icons that come up during start-up and customize that a little bit.

so far this morning, i'm not having much problems. but it's only been 17 minutes so i'll let you know.

given what i was told and what i did, does anyone have any other explainations for what happened? thanks again for all your help!
Old 06-17-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

alright, so for 5 days everything was working again but today i started getting the problem again. given what my above post says about the TCP/IP protocol, what should be my next step?
Old 06-17-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could uninstall your modem/network card driver and reboot and reinstall it - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DRIVER. Also, could try reinstalling your connection setup - like go to Network Neighborhood and delete the network connection you use and reinstall it - can you do that?

Honestly, why not just format and reinstall windows? Give it a fresh start.
Old 06-19-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RANGER are you kidding. maybe he doesnt know that wipes out EVERYTHING.
Old 06-19-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by whotony
RANGER are you kidding. maybe he doesnt know that wipes out EVERYTHING.
whotony, SHE whould like to know which instructions you're referring???
Old 06-19-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hgar78
whotony, SHE whould like to know which instructions you're referring???
sorry hgar.

Honestly, why not just format and reinstall windows? Give it a fresh start

offered twice.