Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Reccomend me Portable Storage for Digital Photos

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-10-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am looking for a device that is not a laptop, that will store the photos I take with a digital camera. Kind of like a mini hard drive.

Smartmedia format. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Couldn't you just burn them to CDs?
Old 06-10-03, 03:20 PM
X
Administrator

Oh, I wish I could remember the name of the device I saw at Good Guys last week. It's a little device, kind of like an MP3 player with a 10-30GB hard drive that takes your media card and reads it to its disk.

It was called something-Stor and it's not on their website.

It seemed like a perfect product, although it did cost several hundred dollars. Much more convenient than a notebook.
Old 06-10-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well here is the situation. I am going to be traveling to Hawaii and I want to have something where I can store the photos just in case I run out of smartmedia cards.

Normally I do that. I just don't want lug around a laptop. No biggie I will keep looking. thanks DG.
Old 06-10-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's quite a few for sale that you can compare:

http://store.yahoo.com/insidecomputer/
http://www.insidecomputer.com/digita...ison_chart.htm

The Storage & Media forum over at DPreview.com has some great opinions as well as to the best.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023

Good luck I'm looking for one too, but haven't decided which one I'm going to get. Optimally, I'd like to listen to MP3s on it as well as store photos so it kind of limits my options.

The CinemaDisk is nice, but expensive (and who needs to watch movies on that small screen?). If you're looking into just storing photos, from what I've heard the ImageTank is the way to go - reliable, long lasting battery, and relatively cheap. I think that's what I'm going to get for my trip to Boston and just buy a separate MP3 player.
Old 06-10-03, 04:22 PM
toq

To complement Blake's post, here's a quick list of direct links to each manufacturer's web site:

Sima Image Bank CP-150

Pocketec Super DigiBin

Delkin eFilm PicturePad

Nixvue Digital Album (DA) II, DA Lite and Vista (Video Storage Album); their newest product, the Vizor, stores photos on CDs

Apacer DISC STENO CP 100 - like the aforementioned Vizor, it also stores photos on CDs

Image Tank G1 and G2

Vosonic VP2030 and VP2060

As indicated by the comparison table in Blake's post, you'll have to decide for yourself which features are a priority such as LCD displays, upgradeable storage, dedicated slot for SmartMedia or use of an adapter, or even additional functionality as a card reader. Some even provide a FireWire addon to their current USB 1.1/2.0 interfaces.

Once you've narrowed down your requirements, it'll probably be easier to choose a more appropriate device for your use. Good luck.
Old 06-11-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a nice review of some of these in this months (I think this months) PC Photo magazine.
Old 06-11-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

btw, if you see a great deal for a [email protected] product, such as the Digital Wallet or Mindstor, DO NOT buy it. They went out of business a few months ago. Their products are not reliable at all.
Old 06-13-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks everyone did not know there were so many products like that.
Old 06-14-03, 06:00 AM
Cool New Member

I just went through this same thing a few months back, before alot of these nice newer ones were coming out.

I personally liked the Delkin eFlim PicturePAD and REALLY liked the SmartDisk FlashTrax, but did not want to spend the $500 price tag. (or wait for that matter)

If you're taking pictures on a SmartMedia or Compact Flash card you can do what I did.

I ended up with an Archos Jukebox Multimedia 20 and I love it.
I especially like its versatiliity:
It's a 20 GB external HD, a portable MP3 player/recorder, a digital wallet (store and view--on it or on tv), and a camera (still and video) all in one.

It does more than I wanted it to do, but that's never a problem.

You can get the hard disk by itself or for a little more get the accessory package. That's what I did. It comes with a USB 2.0 chord, SM and CF adapters, and camera module.

I got mine for about $250 at Dell when it was on sale and after coupon. Usually if you look araound, you can find this normally around $300.