Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Digital8 Question

Old 06-10-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Digital8 Question

I'm considering buying a Sony Digital8 camcorder because I have lots of 8mm tapes from my older Sony and Sharp 8mm camcorders.

I know it can transfer Hi8 tapes to my PC so I can edit them but can it also transfer 8mm (not Hi8) tapes to the PC to be edited ?

Thanks.

Last edited by Struz; 06-10-03 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-10-03, 09:19 AM

I have a Sony Digital8 camcorder, and the answer is: Absolutely. As long as they play on the camcorder, you can transfer them to PC.
Old 06-10-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I have a Sony Digital8 camcorder, and the answer is: Absolutely. As long as they play on the camcorder, you can transfer them to PC.
Thanks.
Do you know if Sony Digital8's can play 8mm tapes ?
Old 06-10-03, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Struz
Do you know if Sony Digital8's can play 8mm tapes ?
I would have to check my manual to make absolutely certain, but I am fairly certain they can play 8mm tapes recorded in Sony camcorders. I'm not so sure about the Sharp tapes. One thing you can do to make sure is bring a couple old tapes to the store and try playing them in the floor model.
Old 06-10-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I would have to check my manual to make absolutely certain, but I am fairly certain they can play 8mm tapes recorded in Sony camcorders. I'm not so sure about the Sharp tapes. One thing you can do to make sure is bring a couple old tapes to the store and try playing them in the floor model.
Good suggestion. Thanks.
Old 06-10-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just found this from Sony's site:

Will tapes recorded in standard 8mm and Hi8TM format play through a Digital8® camcorder?

Tapes recorded in standard 8mm and Hi8TM format will play through most Digital8® camcorders.

However, the Digital8® camcorders do not increase the resolution of a previously recorded 8mm or Hi8TM tape. These tapes will play at the same standard 8mm or Hi8TM resolution they were recorded. Digital8® camcorders do convert standard 8mm and Hi8TM tape playback to a digital format through the i.LINK® connection.

NOTE: The DCR TRV130 and DCR TRV140 models cannot play tapes recorded in the standard 8mm or Hi8TM format.
Old 06-10-03, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Struz
Digital8® camcorders do convert standard 8mm and Hi8TM tape playback to a digital format through the i.LINK® connection.
This is the key passage. It basically says you can plug your Camcorder into your PC's firewire port, and record away. Having done this myself, it's pretty slick. It even automatically rewinds the tape for you.