Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Digital Camcorder Downloading Question

Old 06-10-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Digital Camcorder Downloading Question

I am thinking of buying a digital camcorder.
I've never owned a digital one before, all my previous camcorders have been 8mm.

My question is, can I download a whole miniDV tape directly onto a CD ?

Once I download it how can I view it ? Only on PC or on DVD ?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If memory serves, MediaStudio Pro's capture module would let you (indirectly) go from miniDV to temporary hard drive storage to CD/DVD with just a few extra clicks. I never tried it, though, so I don't know what it does exactly. I would guess it's the raw .avi footage just copied to CD--in other words, PC-only.

However, I don't think I'd want to bother doing this. Fitting 3 minutes of miniDV footage on a CD doesn't sound too fun to me. (miniDV is something like 216MB/minute.)
Old 06-10-03, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by danw
However, I don't think I'd want to bother doing this. Fitting 3 minutes of miniDV footage on a CD doesn't sound too fun to me. (miniDV is something like 216MB/minute.)
Well, you could compress it to another format, such as DIVX and fit a lot more on the CD. Even taking it down to DVD quality would get you a lot more than 3 minutes.
Old 06-10-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really just want to know once you download it to your PC, what do you do with it to view it ?

Do you use media player to play it or do you copy it to a dvd ?
Old 06-10-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A full hour of MiniDV footage will take up about 12 GB of space. As long as you have the DV codec on your PC, you can just use Windows Media Player to watch your footage. However, if you want to put it on CD or DVD, I would highly recommend compressing it - there are programs to convert it to MPEG-2 (for DVD) and DivX (for CD).
Old 06-10-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
A full hour of MiniDV footage will take up about 12 GB of space. As long as you have the DV codec on your PC, you can just use Windows Media Player to watch your footage. However, if you want to put it on CD or DVD, I would highly recommend compressing it - there are programs to convert it to MPEG-2 (for DVD) and DivX (for CD).
Rollo,

I have a cd burner but not a dvd burner.
If I burn it on cd, how can I play the cd ?
Old 06-10-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Struz
Rollo,

I have a cd burner but not a dvd burner.
If I burn it on cd, how can I play the cd ?
Struz, check http://www.dvdrhelp.com

Check the VCD and SVCD sections (upper left hand corner). Each section has a DVD player compatibility list.
Old 06-10-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are the steps you need to take to get your video from your camcorder onto a disc:

1. Capture your video from the camcorder to your PC. Usually in MiniDV format. This will create an AVI on your PC.

2. Convert the AVI to MPEG. You will want to convert it to MPEG1 if you want to burn it onto a CD to create a VCD, or you will want to convert it to MPEG2 if you want to burn it onto a DVD.

3. Burn the disk. Use a CD burning program to create a VCD or a DVD authoring program to create a DVD. You need a DVD burner to create a DVD.

That's pretty much it. Capture, convert and burn.

The specifics can be had at dvdrhelp which eXcentris was kind enough to link.
Old 06-10-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys !

Old 06-11-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by karnblack
Here are the steps you need to take to get your video from your camcorder onto a disc:

2. Convert the AVI to MPEG. You will want to convert it to MPEG1 if you want to burn it onto a CD to create a VCD, or you will want to convert it to MPEG2 if you want to burn it onto a DVD.

3. Burn the disk. Use a CD burning program to create a VCD or a DVD authoring program to create a DVD. You need a DVD burner to create a DVD.
Do I need software to do step 2 and 3 ?
If so, does it come with the camcorder or do I have to buy it separately ?
Old 06-11-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You need to buy software.. You also need a premium burning software to make a VCD. The freebies will not make VCD's.
For easy video editing I recommend you buy this software..
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products...ct.asp?PID=490

Do you already have a IEE1394(firewire) capture card?
The other drawbacks to VCD's is they don't play on all DVD players. You also might be disappointed by the quality of a VCD. I suggest you invest in a DVD burner if your going todo this regularly.
Old 06-11-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Struz
Do I need software to do step 2 and 3 ?
If so, does it come with the camcorder or do I have to buy it separately ?
There's free software that can do that. Now go back to www.dvdrhelp.com and read the HOW-TO sections on CONVERT and AUTHOR you lazy bugger.
Old 06-11-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris
There's free software that can do that. Now go back to www.dvdrhelp.com and read the HOW-TO sections on CONVERT and AUTHOR you lazy bugger.

I admit I haven't read it yet because I'm still trying to decide on which type of camcorder to get, Digital8 or MiniDV.

I have a lot of 8mm tapes. So I'm thinking of getting a Sony Digital8, so I can transfer them to my PC. The downside is that the Digital8 camcorders are bigger and heavier and have less features then the miniDV camcorders.
I don't want to be left with all of my 8mm tapes and have no method of playing them.

After I decide, I'll take a close look at that site.
Old 06-11-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your 8 mm camcorder has video out (it should), you can hook that up to a MiniDV camcorder and transfer onto MiniDV tapes. I've done that on several occasions. Of course, unless you really want high video quality, Digital8 might be better suited for you - at the price point of MiniDV, it's geared towards the "prosumer" and indie filmmaker. Everyone I know who just want to record events are completely satisfied with D8.

Last edited by RolloTomasi; 06-11-03 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
If your 8 mm camcorder has video out (it should), you can hook that up to a MiniDV camcorder and transfer onto MiniDV tapes. I've done that on several occasions. Of course, unless you really want high video quality, Digital8 might be better suited for you - at the price point of MiniDV, it's geared towards the "prosumer" and indie filmmaker. Everyone I know who just want to record events are completely satisfied with D8.
That's a good suggestion but I 'm not sure if it will work because
all my 8mm tapes are 2 hours and the MiniDV tapes are 1 hour.
I have at least 60 8mm tapes, so that means I would have to buy 120 MiniDV tapes (very expensive) and have each 8mm tape split onto 2 MiniDV tapes.

That's why I'm leaning towards getting the Digital8, mostly so I can download all 60+ of my 8mm tapes onto my PC then either to cd or dvd.

If I go with a MiniDV camcorder, I'll have to copy all my 8mm tapes to VHS.
Old 06-11-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

YOu don't need to put them on miniDV unless you want to...
You can use your miniDV as a Analog to digital converter by passing the video through the camcorder into the PC. Keep in mind that transferring Analog 8mm tapes into your PC with your Digital 8 camcorder or the miniDV does not give you DIGITAL quality.. The qualityy will be greatly degraded...

Go with minDV and buy a 8mm player....

Go with making DVD and VCD.. I have not been happy with the quality of VCD or SVCD's
Old 06-11-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE
YOu don't need to put them on miniDV unless you want to...
You can use your miniDV as a Analog to digital converter by passing the video through the camcorder into the PC. Keep in mind that transferring Analog 8mm tapes into your PC with your Digital 8 camcorder or the miniDV does not give you DIGITAL quality.. The qualityy will be greatly degraded...

Go with minDV and buy a 8mm player....

Go with making DVD and VCD.. I have not been happy with the quality of VCD or SVCD's
ANDREMIKE,

I already have a working 8mm camera that can play 8mm tapes and has video out. My PC has a firewire.
If I buy a MiniDV camcorder is this all I need ?

I understand it will not be digital quality but will it be the same quality as it already is on 8mm ?
Old 06-11-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ANDREMIKE,

Do you know if that will work? I tried the reverse (using the MiniDV as a bridge between the PC and TV) and it didn't work at all. Since the connection between a Hi8 and DV would be the same between a TV and DV, I don't know if such a solution would work.