Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What is best domain reg/web hosting?

Old 06-09-03, 10:08 AM

What is best domain reg/web hosting?

I appreciate any recommendations on domain registration and web hosting sites. Also, if I currently have a domain registered, how do I transfer it to another host? Thanks!

(Should this be in the computer forum?)
Old 06-09-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This will get moved ... but a lot of people here (myself included) are pretty happy with Dixiesys. They used to run 2-for-1 specials, but I don't think that will happen anymore.

http://www.dixiesys.com/
Old 06-09-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For registration I highly reccommend www.namecheap.com
$8.88 per year, great interface great for managing multiple domains ( I have like 25) and would use nobody else.

For hosting, I equally as highly recommend www.digitalrax.com

Yes, you may be able to find someone for $1 per month cheaper, but these guys are a testimony to great customer service. They do things for me (for free) that other hosts would laugh at. They always get back to me VERY quickly (mostly within a few hours).

Doug H
Old 06-09-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

godaddy.com or namecheap.com are the registrars of choice. I use 8-95.com which has a 3.95/month hosting plan. It is owned by dixiesys, which I can confirm has great service and good prices. If you can go without basic tech support, 8-95 is a good choice.
Old 06-09-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can not recommend Hasweb.com enough. Cheap, very full featured & awesome tech support.

http://www.hasweb.com
Old 06-10-03, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the above info. If my registration is expiring, how do I transfer an existing domain name to another registrar?
Old 06-10-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk God

i used godaddy to register and dixiesys for my hosting.. and I dont have any complaints
although dixiesys has raised their prices significantly.. luckily Im grandfathered in on the old price scale..
i got the halloween special last year.. 1 plan for 19.95 a year, and get a second plan free.. now I believe they have a monthly rate
Old 06-10-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$7.75 Domain Transfer @ Godaddy.com - I use them for all my domains:

https://registrar.godaddy.com/transf...mscssid=383363
Old 06-10-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use www.domainmonger.com for buying domain names and www.doteasy.com for website hosting (it's $35 for life and no monthly fees - great for plain web hosting)
Old 06-10-03, 04:16 PM

www.hostway.com
regging domain names, 6.95!
Old 06-10-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a huge stupid question. Once you upload to your own webspace and then people download, your isp remains unaffected, right? I'm almost positive but I want to host some mp3s of my friend's band (I know, probably won't be too much bandwidth anyway) and I don't want my ISP screaming at me for too much upload.
Old 06-11-03, 12:44 AM
Stealth Moderator

Domain Name Registration: Go Daddy!!!!!
Not only are they very, very cheap, they were also C|Net's Editor's Choice as well as the #1 domain name registrar of 2002 and 1st quarter of 2003. (Yeah, I got that from Go Daddy's top banner ... ).
Old 06-11-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A friend of mine is selling hosting on his server. Here's his speil:

"I am going to resell a very limited number of accounts on this new server. For just $4 per month, you can get your own subdomain here at 4hv.org, such as http://spoz.4hv.org/ or something like that. I'm including 500MB of storage space, and 10GB of data transfer, as well as all the features you'd expect from a quality webhost. Read more about it here. This is no joke. This is a highly reliable, dedicated server. It is available for anyone to sign up. The user doesn't have to be a member of 4hv.org, nor does the user have to have any interest in what we discuss here. Feel free to refer this service to any of your non-scientific friends. If you participate in the referral program, you can end up with extremely discounted or even free hosting.

Interested? I hope so! Feel free to ask any questions you might have, either in this thread, via IM, or through the email addresses given on the contact page.

If you don't need an excellent webhost, but you'd still like to help, check out the new "donate" link near the bottom left of each page. Anyone who donates more than $1 to this cause will be recognized on the front page of this site. "
Old 06-11-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
As for web hosting - what are the plusses/minuses of using a service for $X per month vs setting up your own web server in your house?

I know one is dynamic vs static IPs, but there are programs to handle that.

An advantage of "in-home" web serving is no monthly charge other than your connection you already have.

What are the other plusses/minuses?
Old 06-11-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Speed on your at home system is not going to be very good, if you are using consumer level cable or DSL service. Most of them have upload limited to 128 or 256K, so any bandwidth intensive content is going to suffer. Less work on getting it going, probably less security concerns etc. If you have the hardware, the connection and the time to set it up though, speed is about the only drawback I see. Oh, and it probably violates your terms of service with your ISP. Needless to say, I run my own email server, and small webserver for testing work stuff, home automation etc, all on my server at home.

Dave
Old 06-11-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I'm thinking more of serving pages, and if it grows, THEN moving to a service.
Old 06-11-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.esosoft.com/

Used them for well over a year now. $8.95/mo (or less) for 200MB and lots of other features. Their only downfall is no webmail or POP. IMAP/SMTP only.

My pages serve fast. Judging from how slow Dixie System's homepage comes up (for me at least), I'll stick with EsoSoft.

If I'm not mistaken, RandyC hosts at least one page with them as well.

Last edited by jfoobar; 06-11-03 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-17-03, 09:46 AM

I second doteasy.
35 bucks for life!
Email and basic web hosting.

I really thought it was too good to be true.
What the heck, if it doesn't work I'll get my money back.

Aside from some initial email issues (due to my temporary server), now that I'm off of the temporary server(2 days), it rocks!

Thought I'd mention this since it's nice not having a monthly/yearly bill at all.

Thanks MitzEclipse!

http://www.doteasy.com/index.cfm?A=000000000000
Old 06-17-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Dotster for my domain registration, and have had no problems yet. I don't really have any opinions on web hosts because I have been getting screwed for years and am looking for a good one myself.
Old 06-17-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
i used godaddy to register and dixiesys for my hosting.. and I dont have any complaints
although dixiesys has raised their prices significantly.. luckily Im grandfathered in on the old price scale..
i got the halloween special last year.. 1 plan for 19.95 a year, and get a second plan free.. now I believe they have a monthly rate
I also use godaddy and dixiesys and have had no problems. My domains expire pretty soon, and I also noticed that their prices went up. They suggest www.8-95.com for cheaper service: http://www.dixiesys.com/index.php?display=newplans