Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem

Old 06-08-03, 04:06 PM

Problem

Has anyone had any troubles with dialers attaching themselves to your pc unwillingly? I think it may gotton on mine through an attachment or popup or something and I know for sure that I didn't hit okay to anything but exited out; still its Kinda got me worried.

I have a dial up and went I logged off the internet about two weeks ago, a weird message box popped up written in german. I am scaried it is one of those crazy international charges dialer or something.

I cancelled long distance with my phone company and any 900 and 976 #'s and I changed my dial up number to another local number just to be safe. Do you think this would be enough to be in the clear?

Also, it is weird...whenever I want to dial up now a weird applications/dos box appears called "pre-dial terminal". It is blank except for the word ok followed by the cursor and a continue or cancel tab at the bottom. I have to hit continue for the dial up to dial.

My phone company said there was no weird charges on my new bill that would have reflected about two weeks of possible dial up time. do you think i can stop worrying?

thanks.
Old 06-08-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should stop visting pr0n sites
Old 06-08-03, 04:27 PM

I know...I think this will do it. But is there any advice beyond this from the wide gamut of DVDTALK?
Old 06-08-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Run spybot, search and destroy, adaware.
Old 06-08-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to second Ranger. Run Spybot. It'll take care of the problem, most hoepfully.
Old 06-08-03, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the advice; I am downloading spyware as I write this. But since I checked with my phone company and there is no charge (yet?) but there still continues to be this "pre-dial terminal screen"; well my question is...does anyone think that the predial screen could be some sort of feature on my pc not brought about by a dialer???
Old 06-08-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You said it wasn't there before right? Run adaware or spybot and see if it is still there. Do you have any new icons on your desktop or in your programs folder?
Old 06-09-03, 01:05 AM

I just ran spybot and repaired everything yet it is still there (the pre dial terminal box) btw: if it was a pron dialer or something wouldn't it have to explain what you were about to dial up to???because in this terminal box it only says ok
Old 06-09-03, 01:08 AM

oh an no new icons or anything; come to think of it; the second after I feared the dialer got attached, I did a search and found some stuff (such as a page that was obviously the dialer with a tab to connect and pics of pronstars but I deleted all of that stuff); my only worry was this damn pre dial screen
Old 06-09-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've actually had that terminal thingy show up when I used to use Earthlink as my ISP. It just appeared out of nowhere and I tried turning it off via the options/settings for the DUN. I'm not sure how I stopped it from popping up all the time but try deleting your DUNs and create a new one using all of your old login info, of course.
Old 06-09-03, 05:43 PM

what is DUN?
Old 06-10-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dial Up Networking. Here's a picture of what it looks like...it should ring a bell.

Old 06-11-03, 01:31 AM

thanks for the advice all; i actually found a part on the dial up properties where there was a check for terminal box; I swear I looked everywhere to see if it was set like that somewhere but I guess I just missed it somewhere. Now my only curiousity is why it got checked??? hmm...life's mysteries.
Old 06-11-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I blame it on gnomes. They manage to get into everything