Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Having problems with my Pioneer DVD player

Old 06-08-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Having problems with my Pioneer DVD player

I just got a new computer with the Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-ROM drive. I'm using Windows XP. At first I was unable to play any region-coded DVDs. Anytime I tried to play a region 1 disc, the movie would try to play, but I only got faint, choppy audio and no video. Either that, or the programs would just freeze altogether and I would have to ctr-alt-delete. I tried playing on various different programs, including PowerDVD and Windows Media Player, and all had the same result. Well, I went to device manager and tinkered with some settings, and the drive started working just fine (it wasn't the region setting - it had been on region 1 the whole time).

However, when I tried to use it after restarting my computer today, the problem re-emerged, only this time it would not play the region free discs either. I messed around with some more settings, and I have come to realize that the player will work whenever I disable and then re-enable the DVD drive in device manager. Does anyone have any clue what the problem is? I don't want to have to disable/enable my drive every time I want to use it. Thanks for any help.

BTW, all other functions of the drive work fine - burning CDs/DVDs, reading audio CDs and CD-ROMs. It's just DVD reading that doesn't work right.