Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Setting up WinXP(home)-WinME Firewire Network

Old 06-07-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Setting up WinXP(home)-WinME Firewire Network

I am trying to network my laptop (XP Home) with my desktop (ME) thru firewire. I was told it could be done but I have no idea how to do it. I have run the network setups on both computers but they still can't find each other. On my laptop, under Network Connections I see a 1394 Connection - Type: Network Bridge - Status: Enabled, Bridged. So why can't I see my desktop, or get on the web?

Also, under the 1394 Connection Status I am getting both Sent and Received packets under Activity. Which I'm guessing means that the two computers are talking to each other, but I still can't see them.

Last edited by Joxer; 06-07-03 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-07-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are they in the same workgroup or domain?
Old 06-08-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is your desktop formated in NTSC? Unless I'm mistaken, (which easily could be) ME is in fat32 and if your XP is formated in NTSC, than the fat partiontion won't be able to read your NTSC partition.

If they are configured using TCP/IP you can go to a dos promt and type ping x.x.x.x to see if they are communicating.
Old 06-08-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What IP address do you have specified for the interface on each computer? They can't be set to DHCP because you don't have a DHCP server. I would suggest something like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

For getting onto the Internet, does one of the computer have a connection and you're trying to share it with the other one through this FireWire connection? Have you enabled Internet Connection Sharing?
Old 06-08-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tihnk that'd be NTSF. NTSC is the standard for color television in the US...
Old 06-08-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Todd B. How do I enable internet connection sharing with ME? Me is my systemt that is connected to the internet.
Old 06-08-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shaun3000
DOH!
Old 06-08-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by shaun3000
Well, it's actually NTFS. But it doesn't really matter with regard to this discussion, because the file system format doesn't matter when sharing files over the network.

Originally posted by Joxer
Todd B. How do I enable internet connection sharing with ME? Me is my systemt that is connected to the internet.
Good question. I don't use ME for one thing (worst operating system ever). I've never used Windows ICS either. I would suggest going to the built-in Windows Help and type in Internet Connection Sharing. It should have a step-by-step guide that will help you turn it on.
Old 06-10-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, well... That's what I get for typing too fast
Old 06-10-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I think I'm just going to format my computer and upgrade to XP Home. I know that will work with minimum setup, and my system will probably be more stable.