Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I need some major help with a slow boot up.

Old 06-07-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I need some major help with a slow boot up.

OK, guy this is the problem. When I do a fresh install of Windows XP my computer will boot up w/o any problems and is fast. I load my programs on it and everything is fine. When I install the windons patches and it will take 5-7 minutes for windonws to load. What the hell is wrong? It this a bad patch from MS or what. I like that have the patches installed because I'm on broadband. I do us a router, should I leave the patches off or what? Any help would be great.

Thank!!
Old 06-07-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember there was a thread regarding a critical update, Q811493 that will delay the login process. See if you have that and remove it from the Add/Remove Programs.
Old 06-07-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by zuffy
I remember there was a thread regarding a critical update, Q811493 that will delay the login process. See if you have that and remove it from the Add/Remove Programs.
Thanks Zuffy but I tried this and it is still slow. Anyone else know what the problem could be?
Old 06-07-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you check the system event log? There might be a service that is timing out.
Old 06-07-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you check the system event log? There might be a service that is timing out.
Yes, I did that also. I even disabled everything at startup through MSCONFIG and still slow.
Old 06-07-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about disabling DHCP Client and enter a static IP address for the PC. Also, if you running any antivirus and/or software firewall software, try with them disabled. If none of those work, I would start removing all the patches and then install one at a time until you know which one is causing the problem.
Old 06-08-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about disabling DHCP Client and enter a static IP address for the PC. Also, if you running any antivirus and/or software firewall software, try with them disabled. If none of those work, I would start removing all the patches and then install one at a time until you know which one is causing the problem.
That worked. Thanks!!!! Now it boots just like old days. I do have one other question. If I change to a WD SE Hard Drive will I see any improvements in boot at all?

Again thanks!
Old 06-08-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt you will see much of an improvement in the bootup process with the WD SE drives.