Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need quick help with cable modem please

Old 06-07-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Need quick help with cable modem please

I'm visiting the in-laws and their computer quit connecting to the net via ethernet cable. They are using a Toshiba PCX2200 and when the network cable is plugged in all that is on is the cable and power lights. Nothing blinks. I've tried different cables, reinstalling the network card, nothing.

I use the USB cable and it connects fine. The Data and PC light come on and it works great (using that now).

I don't know what they did or what not but under area connections (WinXP) their ethernet connection is Local Area connection 5 and the usb cable is Local Area Connection 4. I don't know if that means anything.

Any ideas as to what may be the problem? They are not behind the firewall at the moment.
Old 06-07-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had the exact same problem when my connections got that high. (4 or 5) I enabled both connections it kicked in, however I eventually lost my connection again. I suspect that problems are the conflicts between your 5 connections.

Eventually I figured that part of the problem was the cable modem was overheating. I stood my cable modem on end instead of flat against the computer and it didn't happen again.

You can probably see connections 4 and 5 but not 1-3. Unfortunally I have no idea how to remove hidden connections. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 06-07-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes I remember this somehow happened with my box back home several months ago and I just ended up formatting my PC because I couldn't fix it and just got frustrated That fixes everything

I'll see what he wants to do as I will be back next weekend for his daughters graduation. Thanks for the reply. I'm just hoping it's the network connections and not the modem. I'll see if anyone else has any insight as I have a week to research.
Old 06-10-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

afternoon bump