Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD-R Drive: Why is it so SLOW????

Old 06-06-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CD-R Drive: Why is it so SLOW????

Ok, I got a new CD-R drive. Two of them, actually, for both of my computers since both were in desperate need for a CD-R upgrade. On my main computer (the one I am using to type this on), that was the computer I was having the most problems with, and after installing it, I burned 4 CDs in no time. The drive is 52x, 24x, 52x, and it burns really well, and just as fast as I hoped it would.

So it came time to test out how it would encode tracks from a CD to MP3. I generally make my MP3s at 160-128, and always have. And I also have a DVD drive on my computer as well. Both my DVD drive and my old CD-R drive would encode from a CD to MP3 rather fast, tho the DVD drive was faster by a little. Now, when I encode at a 160 quality, I am lucky if the drive reads at 2x, most of the time it's around 1.7x, and likewise on the DVD drive, which would go as fast ast 15x before in the past when encoding MP3s from a CD. When I drop the quality of the encoding to 128, both drives will go to 4.0x, sometimes up to 5x, but never higher than that, and that includes the DVD drive, which has always been faster than that.

Have I installed anything wrong? I installed both drives the same way on both computers, but on my other computer, it reads the discs FAST. However, when making MP3s from CDs, I prefer to use my main computer so I can access the Internet database to get the song titles.

I am using Nero on both computers, as well, if that helps any. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most likely it's something with how your IDE controller is setup or it's drivers on one computer.

Somethings that could be the problem:

Verify your BIOS IDE setting on both Computers
Verify your drive "Properties" by right clicking the Drive in My Computer and seeing what's enabled/disabled
Check that you using the same Hyperion 4in1 Driver's if these are VIA Chipset motherboards
Windows OS sometimes releases some IDE updates. Maybe one computer has a certain one the other doesn't.
Maybe one computer has ASPI set-up and the other one doesn't

Nothing else coming to mind right now.
Old 06-07-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did not understand if the drive burns fast on the current computer as well or only on your other one. If it does, the problem is a bit more strange.

Either way, you should check the Properties of your Drives in Device Manager and see if they have DMA enabled. The option might be grayed out but it should tell you if it is or not. You should be actually able to change this from the properties of the two IDE controllers (primary/secondary) also in the Device Manager. The option most often reads "DMA if available".
Nero DriveInfo also shows you the dma status of each drive in your system. Both your harddrives and cds should have it enabled.

if its not enabled and can't be changed either, you need newer drivers from your motherboard manufacturer.