Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Outlook Express take forever and a day to load/start?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-06-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was happening to me... I knew why though. I had installed MSN Messenger (even though I swore I wouldn't ever) just to talk to a friend of mine. Then I realized that it never wanted to be off, so I removed it completely... although you can never remove it completely can you? So then after that, my OE would be really slow getting started. It would take almost a minute before I could check my email. It was nuts. I tried reinstalling MSN Messenger to see if I could reverse the problem, but nope. Finally I stumbled upon the solution - Microsoft has an answer to this problem on their website, but it doesn't work for this particular problem. I have OE6 and Windows XP... I think it works for XP and 2000. Anyway - I figure there's probably one or two people out there somewhere who has a problem like this - maybe you don't even realize it... maybe it just annoys you and you don't have the patience to search for the right solution. Anyway - here's the fix..

Sometimes removing or disabling Windows (or MSN) Messenger causes OE to open slowly. This will shown by an entry in the system error log: The server {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. To fix this, open Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
\CLSID
\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
\InProcServer32

In the right-hand pane, double-click on the (Default) value and delete whatever is entered there, leaving it blank. Click OK. Now perform exactly the same step with the key directly underneath, namely

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
\CLSID
\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
\LocalServer32

Once both (Default) values are empty, OE will open normally.
-InsideOE
Old 06-07-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very interesting solution :P
Reminds me of the time when I accidentally installed Windows Media Player 8 through the Windows Update procedure and as a result my laptop would not go into standby mode anymore...

If you will ever consider switching your mail client to a more flexible, lighter-weight yet powerful, virus-free email client, have a look at The Bat! http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/index.html
Been using it for years.
Old 06-09-03, 01:01 PM

Wow, thanks. That's been bugging the heck out of me. The fix worked great. I've noticed this problem on a couple computers. Seems to happen only on the XP machines that have been upgraded to SP1. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again.
Old 06-09-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've read it works for XP and 2000. You're welcome. I knew there would be someone with the same problem out there.
Old 06-10-03, 01:13 PM

Thanks Trigger. This has been annoying me for a while. Can't wait to get home to try this out!