Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Someone explain to me what's so great about Apple?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-06-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My first computer was an Apple IIgs. I used it from the time I was 14 through my first year of college. I printed out my English 102 term paper on my Imagewriter II. It took 4 hours to print. Since then Apple has gone through many changes. My second year of college though, I bought a PC and never looked back.

My only other experience with Macs are in school computer labs or at Kinkos or at electronics stores. Every single Mac I've ever used has crashed. Kinkos told me to save my work every 2 to 5 minutes because the computer would likely crash. My roommate uses them at school and he was telling me the other day that every Mac in the computer lab was frozen or crashed when he tried to do his work. He said he went through nine Mac computers before he could find one that didn't crash long enough for him to print his work and leave... and then it crashed too.

I remember being in a computer store awhile back when PC processors were at about 1.2ghz or something and I think Apple G4s were at 800mhz. The salesguy was trying to tell me that the Apple was faster. We got into a heated debate about it too... I later looked it up and some site did a benchmarking comparison and the only thing the Apple was faster at was a few tasks in Photoshop... Besides that, they crash all the time. Not that PCs didn't crash, but that was one of their key selling points...

Apples are easier and faster and cooler looking... ok, easier? How? Look at the mouse? It has one button. Where's the right-click menu? "Well, for that, you have to hold the apple key and then click"... Oh yeah, that's much easier. Faster? No. Cooler looking? That's open to debate of course, but most people aren't going to buy a computer based solely on looks. Right? And then with the operating systems... isn't their new OS basically Linux? Can't you just get that for free for your PC and have it run circles around the MAC even faster than it does right now?

Currently - even a dual 1.2ghz processor Mac can't keep pace with a single proc P4 3.06ghz. It gets killed even on their favorite test - Photoshop. So I guess I'm just wondering what the appeal still is for Apple. Or is there still any appeal? A peel?
Old 06-06-03, 12:25 PM

According to their commericials, it's the computer of choice for total dumbasses.
Old 06-06-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanna buy the same computer that Mini Me, Yao and Jeff Goldblum bought.

The funniest thing is the Apple commercial parody by Drunk Gamers...
Old 06-06-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some general points:

The current mac OS (OS X.2) is as stable as Windows 2000/XP.

Earlier versions of the Mac OS had an odd way of manually assigning and using memory, which, if left to windows users and store clerks (who never had to mess with such things), would result in lots of crashes. There was no premtive multitasking and earlier OS versions had problems in releasing memory after quitting a program.

A lot of people are pro mac not because of the current hardware (which is lacking, but holding its own) but because they were doing things on a mac 5-6 years ago that was nearly impossible to do on a PC back then, such as video editing, sound editing, and higher end graphics work with color calibrated monitors, drum scanners, etc. The PC has gained a lot of ground on the mac, but once a person has thousands of hours/dollars invested in a platform, it's hard to switch when it's still meeting their needs.

A lot of mac users would be surprised just how fast, responsive, and stable a well put together windows PC is. A lot of PC users would be surprised just how nice it is to work with a computer with the tight software integration that the mac offers. The iApps (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD) are easily the most powerful software apps in their class, and are well integrated with each other.
Old 06-06-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Groucho
According to their commericials, it's the computer of choice for total dumbasses.

Oddly, that may be the best marketing strategy ever, as it's clear that audience dominates the marketplace anyway.

das
Old 06-06-03, 01:17 PM

I've messed around with a Titanium notebook a little. I have to admit that notebook is light, thin, and I love the front load DVD drive. Aside from that, not much more. We played a DVD in the standard MAC OS and it would stumble, but in OS X it played fine just like a Windows machine. So OS X is definately an improvement.

I hate the single mouse button!!
Old 06-06-03, 01:32 PM

Living in the graphics world I'm biased toward Macs.

I've worked on PC's before and they didn't have the same feel as the Macs for what I was/am doing.

Currently in an office of about 40 or so employees there are only two of us that run on Macs. Oddly whenever our network goes down, almost a daily occurance, we are the only computers that can still function without having to shut down and wait for the network to get back online.
Old 06-06-03, 03:29 PM

Oh oh, you just opened some can of worms here.

I am actually agreeably surprised of the rather toned-down discussion in this thread. I would have expected some heated discussions and even some flaming going on. Apparently, decent people still reside on this board, as all other posters in this thread have proven. Congratulations!

What is so great about a Mac? I don't know. I have used PC all my life, but some of my friends swear by Mac, just as I swear by PC. I guess it is just a matter of taste. The computer world has matured enough making both lines of computers (both Mac and PC) worthy platforms, that can perform equally well. The one might be slightly better at one task, but the other probably wins in some other field. On average, they are both good solutions, and it comes down to what you are used to.

LolaRennt.
Old 06-06-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Very funny.. I likes.
Old 06-06-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I converted to Mac after the launch of Win95. If windows wanted to look like a Mac OS, I figure I might as well get the real deal.

Then I got into graphics and editing. Haven't looked back since.

BTW, I have a two button mouse I use with my Wacom tablet.
Old 06-06-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back when it was Mac System 7 vs Windows 3.1, it was no contest, except for the price, imho. As Apple now doesn't honor it's shareholder's votes, I can't say anything positive about them.
Old 06-06-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is it true Apple has less problems with VIRUSES?

I had a friend who was an APPLE WHORE and he was throwing this in my face.
Old 06-06-03, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Is it true Apple has less problems with VIRUSES?
Yes, because there are less of them out there, there also less hackers making viruses for them.
Old 06-06-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Like comparing Apples and Oranges! Both are decent. I'm a pc guy, but I would try OSX if it weren't for the ridiculous price you have to pay for the hardware. They need to release an Mac OSX separately, that will run on regular pcs. Until then, I don't see myself switching.
Old 06-06-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by johnson_design
[BOddly whenever our network goes down, almost a daily occurance.. [/B]

Wow, you really need better network admins. I run a school, it has over 300pcs, and a subnet of macs, OS9. Network running fine...Macs talking to win2k servers and win2k print servers.
Good luck with your network though!
Old 06-06-03, 09:53 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Windows systems have a vast amount of hardware and software to choose from. Mac has a half-vast selection.
Old 06-06-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

should I even post here

I am not going to get into the crap tossing again about PC vs Mac. I am just going to make a few of points coming from a business perspective (not art/graphics/or theater but just about every other business in the WORLD)

Apple is a hardware and software company rolled into one. They make the operating system and the hardware that it runs on so they can engineer every aspect to their liking (should be easier to make it better when you control it all).

That being said, there is NO one single company in the PC world that apple can be compared to, so the comparison is somewhat lame. Basically, Apples to Oranges (not meant to be a pun or joke) but since everyone is trying to force a comparison because they are both computers there is one company combo that comes close.

That is Microsoft and Dell. MS makes the software and Dell makes the Hardware. One understands the other very well and they work together in a somewhat open forum to makes things work smoothly. Yes, there are other hardware partners, however, for my comments Dell is the best pick and still priced lower than any Apple hardware so a safe choice for arguments sake.

MY #1 complaint with Apple is that their warranty is lame and 100 percent worthless in the business world (or to anyone that relies on their computer)

It takes anywhere from 6 to 10 days to have apple hardware repaired under their warranty service.

Just one example, I had purchased a $3000 + powerbook g4 loaded with everything from CDW.COM. CDW gives a 30 day guarentee on just about anything, but this G4 had a hard drive fail at 60 days so CDW could not help me. I was forced to rely on Apple.

I called Apple we walked through the hardware diags and Apple agreed the drive had failed and they needed to raplace it. The tech told me to box it up and ship it to him and in 6 to 10 days I would have it back. I said, NO, you need to have this fixed in a day or send me a drive and let me replace it or send me another G4 and I will send this one back, but I did not have 2 days to wait let alone 6 (remember this machine was 60 days old). After speaking with several levels of management I was refused all of the above at any price (I offered to pay money to expedite service).

My ONLY choice was to ship them the unit and wait (I work for a 45,000 employee company worth BILLIONS of dollars and a kick ass D&B rating so no risk to them being out money was invovled.

Waiting 6 days would have cost my company thousands in lost productivity. I took a hard drive I had on the shelf, installed it in the G4 and got the thing working again in a couple hours. Apple still refused to warranty the drive for me, now because I had taken it out of the machine (LOL). It was a standard IBM 2.5" form drive. IBM usually has a 3 year warranty so I thought no big deal, piss on apple I will have IBM give me another drive.

Well because it was an Apple IBM drive, it only had a one year warranty and ONLY SERVICEABLE THROUGH APPLE DIRECTLY. I tossed the drive in the trash and we ate the cost of a warranty part because Apple's repair time is crap. I mean who can be without a machine for 6 days? NO ONE that is serious.

If this had been a LESS EXPENSIVE DELL MACHINE I would have had a new drive sent to me overnight no questions asked other than what failure code did the diags give you. We do this all the time with Dell (hard drives fail it is a fact of life). DELL (FOR LESS MONEY) is covered for 3 years! IBM drives inside Dell laptops are warrented by IBM directly for 3 years also, if for some reason Dell refused to help, IBM would. I can only figure Apple got a discount from IBM on the drives for killing 2 years of the warranty, but painfully obvious they dont pass that savings on to the consumer.

My #2 complaint is compatibility. This is on two levels. Level one being most of the fricken world uses PCs. If you want to be compatable with customers that you have not met yet, odds are in your favor to use a PC, most everyone else does.

On the second level, I can take business applications (games do not count) that ran on winows 3.1 and run them just fine on windows XP. and honestly I have one program that I do run that is from 1994 on my XP machine and it works fine. This would be the same as trying to run something from system 5 on OSX, it just can not be done. Mac OS's are not very compatble with each other. Microsoft goes to great lengths to ensure the best backward compatibility they can. Apple counldn't care less, their attitiude is pay for more software upgrades. Yes, MS does do this also, but Apple is far worse at it.

My #3 complaint is price. If you are going to pay so much for a computer it better be damn near perfect or ultra fast compared to everything else. Apples with OS 10.2 are NOT any better than a slightly CHEAPER Dell with XP sp1, and in fact they are slower for the money in most benchmarks. Apple only offers 1/3 the warranty in their higher price. A shrewd intelligent shopper would pass Apple by everytime (especially when they realize the warranty is a lame 6 day turnaround anyway).

What do you look for in a computer?

1 Price
2 Power
3 Variety of software
4 stability
5 compatability
6 warranty + parts availability
7 service

Apple does not beat the Dell/MS combo in any of the above categories.

The one thing that Apple still tries to cling onto is ease of personal DVD production. At this point in time I would have to say Apple has even lost that. With some programs from Ulead (and some freeware ones too) and $129 DVD R drives being widely available for the PC, the PC world is now taking over home DVD production as well. Easy Cheap and gaining ground every day while Apple still sits and says yeah but we are better cause we cost more.

Flame on!
Old 06-06-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My only complaint with Mac's are because i'm a huge gamer. Mac's are behind in terms of gaming compatibility and the latest in hardware.
Old 06-07-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to own a Macintosh back when PCs couldn't keep up in music production ie. controling synthesizers, sequencing, publishing, etc. and it was very expensive. I have since moved to the PC due to cost and the advances the PC has made in the field.

My friend is a professional video editor and keeps telling me to get a Mac for video editing. He says professionals only use Final Cut Pro or Avid Composer. I don't care because I'm not a professional so I use Adobe Premiere and it works fine for me.
Old 06-07-03, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
My only complaint with Mac's are because i'm a huge gamer. Mac's are behind in terms of gaming compatibility and the latest in hardware.
Then you'll get a kick out this:

http://webdev.o1.com/rvb/movies/switch/RvB_switch.mov
Old 06-07-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, because there are less of them out there, there also less hackers making viruses for them.
You hit the nail on the head with that!!
Old 06-07-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Then you'll get a kick out this:

http://webdev.o1.com/rvb/movies/switch/RvB_switch.mov
That was hilarious
Old 06-07-03, 02:17 PM

I am a very very very strict PC user. However, I have found Apple to outclass the PC world in two areas:

MP3 Players: My iPod is the best toy I have ever bought for myself. There is no PC player that I have used that does it better and simpler. A true music fan's best friend.

Monitors: The 23" Apple Cinema Display is gorgeous, and I wish I had the cash for one. There is apparently a converter that will allow you to use one with your PC out there, that would make an amazing addition to my little HTPC.
Old 06-07-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got it....
Old 06-07-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd argue the compatability point. Look at the web site for any major video capture card maker (pinnacle, canopus, etc). Each has an extensive list of which windows based equipment will and will not work with their cards. Not just xxx speed processor and a certain amount of ram, but lots of specific motherboard/chipset configurations that are problematic. It's common for people putting editing systems together to figure out which system they want and buy specific parts around it. With the exception of the DVD encoding software, pretty much every mac made in the past 4 years is compatable with all the pro software (exceptions are early iMacs/iBooks that didn't have firewire, and there are upgrade cards for most of those iMacs).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.