Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Sites that sell motherboards with CPU and fan/heatsink preinstalled?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-06-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ran across one site, http://www.jncs.com/, which sells bundles which include a motherboard, processor, memory, and fan/heatsink already installed. They also test it before shipping it. Im just wondering if there are any other sites that do this. Although I have built a computer in the past, I havent installed a processor, and I definitely havent installed a heatsink, so Id rather leave this to professionals if possible. Anyone?
Old 06-06-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought mine from www.mwave.com (look for the "Barebones system" link. They're a pretty good operation, although my ordering process went through a few wrinkles.
Old 06-06-03, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bite the bullet and give it a try. I remember when I first did that, it was very intimidating. I definitely didn't want to mess up an expensive processor or motherboard. To be honest though, it really is very very easy if you just take your time and follow the instructions. Possibly have someone who has done them before watch you while you do it.

But if you don't want to, I can recommend mwave too. I've never purchased a barebones system from them, but have gotten good service with other things.
Old 06-06-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I second Mwave. I've been shopping there for years now and they are great.
Old 06-06-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Installing a heatsink is extremely easy to do, give it a try.
Old 06-07-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recommend Monarch Computers for "motherboard combos." They'll install the CPU and heatsink/fan with optional thermal grease ($11) for no additional charge. They'll also test it free. Also, you can add memory as well and they'll test it too.

I bought one of my recent mobos from them and was very satisfied. I'm in Atlanta where they're based so I just picked it up. However, I recommended them to my brother in California and he placed an order a few weeks ago and got the combo. He was very pleased.

If you have any questions, you can always give them a call too. Very friendly and helpful people.
Old 06-08-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Xanager
Bite the bullet and give it a try. I remember when I first did that, it was very intimidating. I definitely didn't want to mess up an expensive processor or motherboard. To be honest though, it really is very very easy if you just take your time and follow the instructions. Possibly have someone who has done them before watch you while you do it.

But if you don't want to, I can recommend mwave too. I've never purchased a barebones system from them, but have gotten good service with other things.
It really is very easy. Try it yourself...
Old 06-08-03, 08:49 PM

I also agree that installing the heatsink is easy to do. You just have to be careful about not crushing the cpu core. If you do decide to try it yourself and are still worried, there are CPU shims you can use to prevent crushing the core.
Old 06-08-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DVDude!
I recommend Monarch Computers for "motherboard combos." They'll install the CPU and heatsink/fan with optional thermal grease ($11) for no additional charge. They'll also test it free. Also, you can add memory as well and they'll test it too.

I bought one of my recent mobos from them and was very satisfied. I'm in Atlanta where they're based so I just picked it up. However, I recommended them to my brother in California and he placed an order a few weeks ago and got the combo. He was very pleased.

If you have any questions, you can always give them a call too. Very friendly and helpful people.
Checked them out, but their prices are higher than www.mawave.com. Is there anything you get for paying the extra $$$?
Old 06-08-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
Checked them out, but their prices are higher than www.mawave.com. Is there anything you get for paying the extra $$$?
Does MWave test everything for you too? If so, I'd go with them then. I bought a CD-RW drive from them a few years ago. Good service. I'm partial to Monarch simply because I've dealt with them for specifically what you're seeking--a mobo combo, tested. Nice people both on the phone and in person.

As for installing it yourself, personally I'd recommend just getting the combo. Saves the hassle of 1) crushing the core--especially AMD, 2) returning a defective part and/or 3) screwing up the CPU by applying the thermal grease or paste incorrectly.

A guy I know has built over 200 computers. He managed to burn out a CPU by incorrectly seating the heatsink a couple of weeks ago. Even "experts" screw up occassionally. If this is your first build, just get the combo. My two cents.
Old 06-09-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On their motherboard bundles they do a burn in test for 24 hours for $9.00 and put it all together for you.
Old 06-09-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
On their motherboard bundles they do a burn in test for 24 hours for $9.00 and put it all together for you.
Sounds like a good enough deal. I'd probably go with them then, especially if they are cheaper. Reputable dealer, IMO. (We are talking about MWave and not Mawave, right? )
Old 06-10-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mwave is great (and I'm sure that's what's being talked about)...

Here's some other sites I checked out when I put together my last mobo/processor/ram/fan combo:

Mwave.com
AICmicro.com
RoyalComputer.com
Old 06-24-03, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

www.goroyalpc.com

ordered many motherboards and barebone pcs from them...great on shipping time and order processings..they test everything if you have them put it togthere