Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How does this Intel system look?

Old 06-05-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does this Intel system look?

I am going to have a new pc built for me by a friend of my parents, and I was curious about a couple things and overall how my system looks.

Here is what I already own from previous deals or purchases, most are new in box.

Antec Plus1080 AMG w/true power 430
Maxtor 160gb Ultra w/8mb cache
Maxtor 80gb w/2mb cache
Viewsonic 21" P815
Lite-on DVD-rom 16x
Lite-on CDRW 32x12x40 (may upgrade this and leave in old pc)
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

Here is what I am looking at:

Intel P4 2.4c
Abit IC7-G....anyone currently using this board?
1gig (2x512) of at least pc3200 probably pc3500, need suggestions on which ones and where to buy.
$200 for video card...again need recommendations
Audigy 2 maybe unless suggested otherwise
Floppy Drive

So I definitely need recommendations on memory and video card and any help would be appreciated. I am upgrading from a P3 500 and now that I have the money I can't wait.
Old 06-05-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think crucial.com is a great place. they have reliable ram at good prices.

for the video card, i'd say the geforce 4600 since i'm not a fan of ATi, however ATi's 9700 pro is a fast card.

for sound, i might suggest the turtle beach santa cruz card. it's a better bang for the buck, unless you want the external faceplate of the audigy 2 platinum.
Old 06-05-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But the motherboard comes with 6.1 audio built in - is that not good audio? (I have been looking at the IC7 mobo and may hold off on getting an audigy 2 or other sound card until I hear the built in 6.1 sound)

Also just in case you don't know (but I'm guessing you do) - the G in IC7-G is for gigabit ethernet connection - so if you are also planning to move over an ethernet card, you could go with the cheaper IC7 which is the same mobo without built in ethernet.

As for Ram - Crucial is the place I always go.

Video card - I just replaced my GeForce 3 with the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and it is the best card out there now. The 9700 is right behind it. (not sure if you can find the 9700 for $200 though)

I take it you are getting the P4 2.4ghz that runs 800 Mhz? (I am waiting for a price drop on the 3.0ghz)

All set with speakers? (One of those things most people forget about)

Last edited by Music; 06-05-03 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Music
But the motherboard comes with 6.1 audio built in - is that not good audio? (I have been looking at the IC7 mobo and may hold off on getting an audigy 2 or other sound card until I hear the built in 6.1 sound)

Also just in case you don't know (but I'm guessing you do) - the G in IC7-G is for gigabit ethernet connection - so if you are also planning to move over an ethernet card, you could go with the cheaper IC7 which is the same mobo without built in ethernet.

As for Ram - Crucial is the place I always go.

Video card - I just replaced my GeForce 3 with the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and it is the best card out there now. The 9700 is right behind it. (not sure if you can find the 9700 for $200 though)

I take it you are getting the P4 2.4ghz that runs 800 Mhz? (I am waiting for a price drop on the 3.0ghz)

All set with speakers? (One of those things most people forget about)
I think I read of problems with the onboard sound especially with overclocking which I may attempt. Also I have giftcards to CC so it won't cost me that much for the sound card and will also help me to bring the overall cost down on both the video card and sound card.

Yeah the 2.4c with 800fsb. I set aside around 800.00 for memory, motherboard and processer, so I may jump to the 2.6c or go with a better video card depending on what I am looking at with memory.

Speakers I am ok with for now, but my birthday is in August so I may hit the parents up for those then which would also give me time to arrange my room better for a 5.1 setup versus the 2.1 setup I could do now. I may instead go with a cheap video card now like the ti4200 and ask for a better card come August.

I really am just anxious to get this done I have been putting off getting a new pc for a while. So I can always go back and buy something better. I just got out of computers for a while so I am trying to get back in.
Old 06-05-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mr. Music

well, since he only has a 2.1 setup, i'd say stick with the onboard sound for now. later, you can add a 5.1 sound card and speakers if you need.

also, the 9700 (non pro edition) is a little over $200. the ti4200 is ok for someone who doesn't play much games. you might have some trouble with some highly graphics intensive games.