Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone know a good email tracking system?

Old 06-05-03, 12:32 PM

Anyone know a good email tracking system?

I'm looking for a program/application whereby one would be able to track their email on a internal system within a business. In our business, we use email to request info to be pulled, to get things changed, to invest things, etc., and it would be really helpful if there was a way to track the emails as they are sent out so that we wouldn't have to rely on being documenting the system all the time and we'd be able to provide more up-to-date info to our clients. ALso, if there is a hold-up or the document in question is sitting at someone's desk, we could send something or contact that person directly. Does anyone who if a program such as this is available or and ideas of how to set something like this up? Thanks, you guys are the best.
Old 06-05-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
This sounds like the "workflow" aspects of a collaborative messaging system like GroupWise (which I administer here at work), Lotus Notes, or MS Outlook and Exchange. I have heard of a product called MailFlow that works with any existing POP3 based email system.
Old 06-05-03, 01:05 PM

Yes, we used to have Groupwise, which was ok, but again, you couldn't track it very easily. We just recently switched to Outlook for various reasons. I'll check into that Mailflow system though. Thanks.
Old 06-05-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I run an Exchange system. In our case there are a few ways to do this.

The most storage intensive is called journaling. Basically it makes a copy of every message and stores it in a database.

Then there is message tracking. I keep the logs for 50 days and then they are deleted. In this case it just the headers and the subject.

Then you have stuff like deleted item retention and brick level backups. Deleted item retention is keeping deleted items in the database and only the user thinks they are really deleted. But there is a way to delete the message without it going into deleted items. The way to get around this is to make a registry change on each client. Brick level backup is backing up the email on a per mailbox level. You can do this with Veritas or Comvault. The comvault product is supposed to be better.