Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows XP Taskbar Question

Old 06-04-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Windows XP Taskbar Question

Hi Folks,
My parents finally got a new computer today, a Dell Dimension 2350. It seems nice compared to the Pentium 200 they had been using up until today. Anyhow, I set it up for them and I'm stumped about a feature of the XP Task bar. I'm a Mac guy so perhaps that's why I can't figure it out, but I can't for the life of me get the "Group similar taskbar buttons" feature to work in the XP taskbar. I have it checked but even if I have 2 or 3 IE windows it doesn't group them. Does it only do this when you have a bunch of stuff already open? I'm used to Mac OS X where when you right click a running program's icon in the dock you get a list of all of its open windows. Am I doing something wrong or can XP not do this? Thanks for any info!
Old 06-04-03, 11:00 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it will only group items when you fill the taskbar. So, when it runs out of room, it begins grouping.
Old 06-04-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is correct. It will start grouping when the taskbar becomes very cramped. So, instead of making smaller and smaller buttons, like previous versions of Windows did, it will put similar buttons (like IE, AIM, etc) into a single button. When you click that button, it turns into a menu and you can choose which task to open.
Old 06-04-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You would probaly need to make the section of the taskbar that holds task buttons smaller and then lock the taskbar to get it to behave more like the MAC did.