Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Samsung DVD / CD-R Combo Drive Question

Old 06-04-03, 01:58 PM
Banned

Samsung DVD / CD-R Combo Drive Question

Recently, my Dvd drive has stopped working. Obviously I want to replace it. I went to Best Buy and I saw a Samsung Dvd/Cd burner combo drive for $99. Does anyone have any experience with this drive? It seems like a pretty good price, I'm just worried it might not last that long. The DVD-rom FAQ recommends Pioneer. I saw a Pioneer DVD drive for around $50. Do you think slot drives last longer than tray drives? (I currently have a tray drive.)
Old 06-04-03, 02:15 PM
X
Administrator

Unless you don't have enough case openings or IDE connections to put in 2 drives, I'd get separate drives.

You can get a very good 52x burner for $20 and then get a very good DVD-ROM for around $50. The Pioneer is a very good DVD-ROM.

I've only had slot versions of their drives and haven't had any problems with them. But then I haven't had problems with any tray drive I've ever had either.
Old 06-04-03, 02:24 PM
Banned

thanks X, yeah I was thinking about the Pioneer, I wasn't sure if a slot drive is better. What do you think are the major weaknesses of a combo drive?
Old 06-04-03, 02:26 PM
X
Administrator

Price, and if you have a problem with it you lose two functions.

I like the slot-load a lot.
Old 06-04-03, 02:39 PM
Banned

one last question: what software does Pioneer come with? Thanks very much in advance.
Old 06-04-03, 02:50 PM
X
Administrator

I don't remember.
Old 06-05-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm pretty sure I have the Samsung combo drive you speak of in my Dell system. My perception is that it is rather noisy when spinning discs, but otherwise works fine. I've had my system for a bit over a year.
However, if I were to do it over again, I think I would be inclined to get seperate drive to more easily copy CDs.