Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Who here uses Newsgroups?

Old 06-04-03, 11:57 AM

Who here uses Newsgroups?

After seeing some of the items available on new groups from some people at work, I decided to give it a try. All I can say is WOW!! There is so much available and you can download it rather quick. I can't believe I've been messing with Peer2Peer or IRC for larger size files.

What New Reader does anyone recommend? I'm currently starting with Agent, because it's supposed to be the easiest for newbies.

Edit: Removed inappropriate material

Last edited by breaux124; 06-04-03 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would enjoy a discussion about newsgroups, but you'll probably want to remove the talk about bootleg materials if you want the thread to remain open.

I use BNR2 (Binary News Reaper) for binaries. It's not the most user-friendly thing in the world, but it has the best interface for trying to complete binaries from multiple servers at different priority levels. I get most of the segments from my ISP's free server and then fill in the gaps with Giganews' pay service. BNR2 handles this very well and keeps my costs as low as possible.

If you want to read/post as well as download, a lot of people really like XNews. NewsBin isn't too bad either, although I haven't messed with the new version yet.

The form response for newsgroup newcomers is http://www.timdoc.com -- if you're familiar with all the different file manipulation tools, most of it will be common knowledge, but it's still a good guide.

Much like IRC, Newsgroups can be frustrating at times, but they're very powerful. Each has a different purpose (well, binaries aren't the "purpose" of either, but you know what I mean), and each is a valuable tool.

Welcome to the Newsgroup world. Enjoy your stay ...

das
Old 06-04-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use Grabit
Old 06-04-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

ive been using newsgroups pretty regularly since around '94

i wont go into what all i use them for

i generally use agent, as my newsreader.. just because i like the feel of it best.. and yes, i have tried most readers.
Old 06-04-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I agree with twikoff. I've mainly used Agent becuase of the easy to use interface.
Old 06-04-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I was amazed at what I found on the newsgroups and surprised that everyone raves about KazaaLite when newsgroups are so great. I missed an episode of West Wing and found that floating around in HD too without commercials. Great stuff. I really like to use XNews (only one I've tried), but it does everything I need it to and it's pretty simple once you learn some of the tricks to it.
Old 06-04-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth twikoff
i wont go into what all i use them for

This would be a perfect time for the fisting smilie, I suspect.

das
Old 06-04-03, 02:40 PM

das Monkey: Thanks for the link. The most intimidating part of the newsgroups was just how to setup everything. It was even worse when I was trying to use Outlook as my reader.

The only thing I would like to see in Agent is a more detailed progress bar for the download. Xnews seems to have a progress bar which shows the download speed. But since Agent is so easy, I'm reluctant to switch.

Now I know what all my college friends were raving about, I just never took the time to learn about it more.
Old 06-04-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

percent schmercent
after you have used it for awhile.. youll have a pretty good idea how long each file is going to take, without any percentage
the servers I download from are very consistent in their speed.. and i can tell you within a few kbs, how fast the files are going to come down
Old 06-04-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Newsgroups do kick tail, both for quantity and variety of content. Although I am spending more time on this site for DVD discussions.
I've been using Agent for about five years; it's the best, IMHO. I have tried others, and not liked them as much, but it could be because I'm not willing to climb the learning curve when I know Agent so well.
Breaux-I'm not sure if it is exactly what you're looking for, but in the AGENT.INI file, there is an option for
ProgressStyle=
and
ProgressDelay=

I'm not sure what Progress Delay does, but Progress Style will change the view of the progress bar in the lower window of Agent. I think the options are 0,1,2,3,4, but you can play with it and see what it does.

Agent [and most newsreaders] are much faster than P2P because you are usually downloading directly from your ISP's newsservers, and not relying on someone else's uplink, which then has to transfer across the Internet as a whole to your machine. It's almost like comparing data transfer over the Internet to that over an Intranet.

One more excellent feature of Agent are the kill/watch filters.
Old 06-04-03, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
percent schmercent
after you have used it for awhile.. youll have a pretty good idea how long each file is going to take, without any percentage
the servers I download from are very consistent in their speed.. and i can tell you within a few kbs, how fast the files are going to come down
But us newbies need all the help we can get. I really don't care about percentage either, I would like to know how many kbs I'm downloading at though.

Also, do most people here use their ISPs provided news server? I have comcast which uses giganews, but we only get 1GB/month for free. Luckily they don't terminate your downloads at the 1GB limit and let your download finish. I got an email saying, "My current use is at 267%." So I guess I can't use it for almost the next two months. Good thing I have the giganews account info from friends and family.

If anyone uses a pay service, which do you recommend?
Old 06-04-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A lot of the pay services are comparable with minor differences. I've been very happy with Giganews and the way they reset your month when you hit your limit, e.g. if I have a 6 gig/month limit starting at the 1st of the month, and I hit that limit on the 27th, my "starting date" is reset to the 27th, and a new "month" is started. This way, you rarely get cheated out of gigs (unless you don't meet your limit, and then you probably have your limit set to high).

I use my crappy ISP for primary, and Giganews as the backup. Since I only get about 90% completion and 24-hour retention locally, I need a solid backup. I take most of the segments from my ISP and fill the gaps with Giganews. For me, BNR2 is an invaluable tool, because it handles this priority setting automatically and prevents me from wasting any money on segments I could have downloaded for free.

das
Old 06-04-03, 03:36 PM

Easynews.com

I use EasyNews. It is awesome. Web interface, different levels of subscription, and you can earn gigs. I geneally use Pan in Linux and Xnews for Win.

http://www.easynews.com
Old 06-04-03, 04:54 PM

Although I used Agent for a long time, I really enjoy the versatility and interface of Newsbin Pro.

-ice1138
Old 06-04-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Xnews. The one and only news reader I will ever use.
Old 06-04-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do just what das does. Use Giganews and BNR2. Giganews picks up what my ISP doesn't. Don't let the interface of BNR2 intimidate you. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it is really very easy to use. I like the fact that you can download each group to different folders, use multiple servers, etc.
Old 06-04-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Easynews.com

Originally posted by GT3NE1
I use EasyNews. It is awesome. Web interface, different levels of subscription, and you can earn gigs. I geneally use Pan in Linux and Xnews for Win.

http://www.easynews.com
Same but I just use the web interface
Old 06-04-03, 10:02 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Diehard Agent person, here. (Version 1.91 at the moment). Been using newsgroups since around 1995, and use usenetserver (www.usenetserver.com) as my current provider ($14.95 a month for unlimited downloads at 2 mbs). Downloaded many, many, many gigs of ones and zeros. Alt.video.dvd was the place to be long before DVDTalk came along.

And you don't have to worry about moderators deciding to censor your posts when they don't care for the content.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 06-04-03 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ice1138
Although I used Agent for a long time, I really enjoy the versatility and interface of Newsbin Pro.

-ice1138
Exactly my thoughts. Newsbin Pro is the shizzy
Old 06-05-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have access to an NNTP server anymore since I don't have a web connection (I use wireless hotspots in coffee shops and libraries).

Does anyone know way to access newsgroups for free? Maybe through the web or via a free NNTP server?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Comcast's aquisition of AT&T and the subsequent cap on newsgroup downloads is pure garbage. I can easily go through many gigs per day. I will either be dropping Comcast and switching to DSL, or subscribing to a usenet provider.

From 5/11 - 5/17: 9.61 GB
From 5/18 - 5/24: 22.23 GB
From 5/25 - 5/31: 16.28 GB
From 6/1 - 6/7 so far: 9.39 GB

Using Comcast's usenet provider, giganews, this last month would cost me over 80 dollars extra. It is ridiculous that Comcast does not keep their own usenet servers, like very other major ISP does.
Old 06-05-03, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk God

that sure is alot of pron

Old 06-05-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Xnews rules.
Old 06-05-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It certainly is.
Old 06-05-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.