Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

extracting an icon from a dll or exe file in win98se

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-03-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

is there a built in windows tool for doing this? for some odd reason one of the icons Norton Protect uses has deleted itself, and it's the one used for an empty recycle bin which is the one most used. I hate seeing the default windows icon that is used when there isn't an icon to use and would like to try to extract the needed icon from the exe.
this happens quite freguently with at elast one of the icons it uses. at some point after each time I format and reinstall everything this will happen. a few times ago I started making copies of the icon files but for some reason I only had copies of all but the one icon that deleted this time
Old 06-04-03, 01:00 AM
X
Administrator

With a shortcut you can go into the properties of it and click Change Icon... and browse to the file containing one or more icons and chose which one you want from there.

At least that works with halfway modern OSs.
Old 06-04-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
tried that, but the recycle bin appears to be special and the properties doesn't have an icon selection
but, when I booted today it was fixed. went into the windows folder where the icons are stored and 2 new ones were there with the look of the missing one but a different name
Old 06-04-03, 12:17 PM
X
Administrator

I wasn't exactly sure what it was you lost the icon for.

Yeah, recycle is a special one. Does TweakUI allow you to change it? I don't remember. It at least has an icon repair function for the standard desktop items.

Here's one way that at least works in Win2K:
Right click on your desktop and select Properties. Then click the Effects tab up on the top and highlight your recycling bin icon and click the Change Icon button.

If you have Microsoft Plus installed, here's how to change your Recycle Bin:
Right click on Desktop.
Select Properties.
Click on the Plus tab.
Click on Change icon.
Browse Choices.
You can choose from a limited set of icons.
Click OK.

If you don't have Microsoft Plus, it's a little more complicated. You'll have to add the Rename option to the Recycle Bin's context menu. Do this:
Download the Rename Recycle Bin Registry Patch from the Windows Annoyances Website.
Double-click on add/rename to recycle bin.reg. It should take effect immediately.
Rename the Recycle Bin in the same way you would rename any file. (Right-click on it and select Rename).

Here's more: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20468632.html