Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Color printing and injet carts/refills, etc.

Old 06-03-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Color printing and injet carts/refills, etc.

I use a number of HP printers and have terrible luck with buying refill kits and remanufactured cartridges. About half seem to work, so I am no better off than if I bought the original.

My printer costs seem to be getting high, when it would be pretty easy for a company to make a cart with loads of ink in it. What do you use and how good is it. I need decent (only decent) print quality, but need something economical (in terms of ink costs), but the cost of the unit itself doesn't matter much.

I assume laser stuff is still much more expensive than color.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-03-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you can get by with just black, Samsung makes a nice little laser printer that you can get for about $150 or less at Best Buy. A friend has one and the quality and speed are excellent.

If you want color, I've had a Canon i850 photo printer for a few months, which last time I checked was going for about $170 at Best Buy. The print quality is fantastic, it's really fast and quiet, and all the ink cartridges are separate. This allows each cartridge (four of them at about $11 each) to be considerably larger than all-in-one color cartridges, so they last longer and can be replaced individually. My ink costs have plummeted (I've used HP and Epson in the past) and my print quality has gone way up.

I'm sure Canon has models below this that cost considerably less.
Old 06-03-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I have heard good things about the canon before. Maybe that is what I need to look into. Thanks.

Anyone else?
Old 06-03-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the Samsung printer - $129 but cartidges are $70. Still not a bad deal - may show this one to my parents.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=502&scat=504
Old 06-04-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

$70 may sound steep for the Samsung cartridge, but that's about what three HP black inkjet cartridges will cost you and the Samsung is rated for for 2,500+ sheets of paper. The equivalent capacity in inkjet cartidges would cost you a fortune.
Old 06-04-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$70 for ink cartridge?? You could get low end printer with that kind of money.
Old 06-04-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

I am mainly looking at ink costs over the long haul. I used to use a canon that had the 4 seperate ink carts but went to HP, and I don't remember why.

The cost of the printer doesn't bother me much since it is a "one time" cost. The ink is forever!!!!
Old 06-04-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Color laser is still fairly steep. I have a b&w laser for text and an inkjet for color (whether pictures or "charts"). How much of your work is really mixed where it has to be done on inkjet. If a lot is purely b&w text, you might save by getting a laser too.
Old 06-04-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
$70 may sound steep for the Samsung cartridge, but that's about what three HP black inkjet cartridges will cost you and the Samsung is rated for for 2,500+ sheets of paper. The equivalent capacity in inkjet cartidges would cost you a fortune.
Does that samsung laser printer I posted include the cartidge or you have to buy that separately? Or it already has the cartidge in for the price of $129.
Old 06-04-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It comes with a cartridge, so right out of the box you're good for at least 2,500 pages, although I've read posts around here of people getting way more than that.

Originally posted by eedoon
$70 for ink cartridge?? You could get low end printer with that kind of money.
Just to be clear, it isn't an ink cartridge, it's a toner cartridge, filled with powdered toner that doesn't dry out the way unused ink cartridges do. It's almost as wide as the printer and about as big around as a soda can.
Old 06-04-03, 09:54 PM

Hey, $70 for a toner cartridge is cheap. Replacements for my NEC 95 laser printer go for $185! No, that's not a misprint. Of course one cartridge lasts for years (and years and years...).

When this one runs out, it'll be cheaper for me to chuck the machine and get a new printer.
Old 06-05-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

boblandau: Toner for the HP5500 I use is $450 for each of the 3 color cartridges and about $200 for the black. So a complete set of extra carts cost over $1500!