Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Freeware that will create sound only file from .avi file?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-03-03, 01:49 AM

I need a program to create a sound file from an .avi file. I am trying to create a VCD but the file is in .avi form, so I am using TMPGEnc to encode the .avi file as a .mpg file. The only problem that is for some strange reason, some of my files don't have a audio format, just a duration and bit rate in the audio properties. When I created the .mpg file from an .avi file without an audio format, I only get the video .mpg with no sound. Help please. Thanks.

Ps. When I created the VCD using Nero 5.5.0.3 it does not work on my Panasonic DVDA120 or my Samsung DVD-611 but works on my personal DVD player which is a Mintek. Would buring at a slower speed possibly help?

Ty
Old 06-03-03, 02:56 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you mean you need to extract the sound from an avi file? If so then virtualdub can do it. http://www.virtualdub.org/

--HN
Old 06-03-03, 12:34 PM

I found a program that worked. It was basically that the sound file was compressed and you just had to decompress it. Now, my problem is that I can't seem to get the VCDs to work on my normal DVD players. Is there a setting on Nero that has to be selected or a specific number of things that need to be specified to get it to work on home DVD players? I am using a Panasonic DVD120A and Samsung DVD-611. Thanks.

Ty
Old 06-03-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if your dvd players don't specifically state that they will play vcd's on cdr, you're probably out of luck.

my $300 toshiba won't play them....but my $69 apex will. go figger.