Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with Processor/Motherboard Problems

Old 06-01-03, 12:11 AM

Help with Processor/Motherboard Problems

I bought a new Athlon XP 2000+ processer today to go on my Gigabyte GA-7ZXE Motherboard. After I installed the processor, when I booted up the computer, it showed up as a 1.25GHZ processor instead of a 1.67GHz processor, so I read on the website that I needed to update the bios. I updated the bios to the one that had the "fix" for the XP2000+. I installed it, and when I rebooted I get stuck on Checking NVRAM. I've tried pulling out the battery to reset the CMOS to no avail. I have no idea what else to try, can anyone help? Thanks
Old 06-01-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Help with Processor/Motherboard Problems

Originally posted by gr8fuldave
I bought a new Athlon XP 2000+ processer today to go on my Gigabyte GA-7ZXE Motherboard. After I installed the processor, when I booted up the computer, it showed up as a 1.25GHZ processor instead of a 1.67GHz processor, so I read on the website that I needed to update the bios. I updated the bios to the one that had the "fix" for the XP2000+. I installed it, and when I rebooted I get stuck on Checking NVRAM. I've tried pulling out the battery to reset the CMOS to no avail. I have no idea what else to try, can anyone help? Thanks
The bios at boot up the first time is set to 100 FSB your processor has a 12.5 multiplier. all you needed to do was go into your bios and change the FSB to 133.

100x12.5=1.25 Ghz
133x12.5=1.66 Ghz

when you pulled out the battery did you unplug it from the wall and leave it unplugged for a while?
Old 06-01-03, 08:45 AM

Thanks, I pulled out the battery, and left the computer unplugged for a while. I plan on starting again this morning. I just hope that I haven't screwed up the bios card by a bad flash. Thanks gcribbs
Old 06-01-03, 11:02 AM

Ok I think I need a new bios chip from a bad flash. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get one or any other solutions to the problem? I've tried leaving the battery out for 12 hours and that didnt reset the CMOS
Old 06-02-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.badflash.com/

From what I understand if you can get a working bios chip for your motherboard from a friend...
you can put it in ,boot from the floppy to do the dos bios update and then do a hot swap to your old bad flash bios chip and flash it again.

Of course the bad thing would be if you somehow end up messing up the friends bios chip

another possibility is to see if the place you bought it from could help you out.
Old 06-02-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

. I flashed with the wrong file. Is there any way to recover?

A. If your floppy drive seeks on power up and then stops after a short period of time, you may have a chance to recover. The following information was obtained from Wim's Bios http://www.wimsbios.com/ FAQ's. Corrections on AWARD Bios by Terry McGuire.

Award: The boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file on the floppy and execute it automatically by putting AWDFLASH *.bin /sn /py /cc /r in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. The * would be the correct bios .bin file and there must be spaces between the slash marks. Put it in the floppy and turn on the computer when the floppy seeks it will load the correct bios and reboot by itself. When it finishes you have to remove the floppy and enter the cmos SETUP and modify the CMOS for your configuration.

AMI: The AMI boot-block BIOS will look for a AMIBOOT.ROM file on a diskette. Copy and rename the correct BIOS file on the floppy and power up the PC. The floppy doesn't need to be bootable. You will see the PC read the floppy, after about 4 minutes you will hear 4 beeps, this means the transfer is done.

Kill Power to the PC. Clear the CMOS or RTC. Reboot the PC and modify the CMOS for your configuration

From the bad flash website. might be worth a try.
Old 06-02-03, 08:57 AM

Thanks GCribbs !!!! I hope this will work. You Rock