Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

drive problems

Old 05-31-03, 11:16 PM
Cool New Member

drive problems

i am not so much of a computer huy..but i can build them and take them apart and thats about it....
When i click on "my computer" it doesnt seem to show my drives such as my cd-rw, and my DVD drive......but as i go to device manager it shows it there but with a yellow icon along withit.....
what do i do.....i need my drives woking i tried buying a new drive and puting it in there but a yellow exclamation point was just placed on top of it just like the ones previoulsy in the computer

[email protected]
Old 06-01-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the forums.

that usually means it needs a driver - try right clicking the drive in DV ->properties->driver ->update. Although the OS (which is?)should detect it by itself as a plug and play drive. PS - the firmware could be flaky or it could just be the driive failing.

EDIT: oh you've already been a member for over a year.
Old 06-01-03, 12:35 AM
Cool New Member

the drivers are totaly updated to the fullest but it stil wont read
Old 06-01-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

this only is affecting the CD-RW and DVD-ROM? It could be the jumper settings are wrong - look at the pins on the back of the drive - each one should be set as slave or master if you're using the same IDE cable. Try one drive at a time and see what happens.