Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Differences of cable vs. DSL?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Differences of cable vs. DSL?

Old 05-30-03, 11:34 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 543
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences of cable vs. DSL?

Hi, I have finally decided to get high speed internet access, and have both cable and DSL options available to me... Cable seems a bit more expensive and a bit harder to set up, but I wanted to know if people who have already through about this had recommendations or could discuss the pros/cons of each to help me with my decision. Is one really better than the other?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-03, 11:43 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,495
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.cnet.com/internet/0-3762-7-2643119.html

cable - shared bandwidth - higher potential
dsl - dedicated bandwidth - depends highly on your location and how far you are from the central office

but it mostly boils down to your local providers.. if you have friends using the services.. ask them
also considering running speed tests on their machines to see which is better

of course.. dsl is generally more expensive as well.

and dsl is normally going to be a little more difficult to setup.. but really, both are a piece of cake.
Old 05-30-03, 12:38 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 543
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by twikoff
[url]of course.. dsl is generally more expensive as well.

and dsl is normally going to be a little more difficult to setup.. but really, both are a piece of cake.
Thanks for the info.

Interesting that you say that.... the 2 options I have looked at (Verizon DSL and Cox cable) seem to show that the cable is more expensive (by $5/mo) and you have to purchase your own cable modem, whereas Verizon gives you a modem and you only pay S&H for it.. if you keep the svc for a year, the modem is yours to keep, otherwise no charge if you send it back to them. Is cable generally faster as well?
Old 05-30-03, 12:56 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,193
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all shared bandwith. Cable it's all shared on the internal network and through the gateway. DSL you get a dedicated line to the gateway, but it's shared from there. You need to compare the options in your area. In NYC AOL offers a new cable internet solution that is 2Mbps down and around 500Kbps up for around $50 a month.
Old 05-30-03, 05:09 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,549
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got rid of my dsl. I had Telocity.com dsl, which was great, 1.5Mbps up and down. They went bust, and during the last month, the speed was crap. They weren't any help and even told me to find another service. Anyways, switched to Speakeasy.net and that was great for two months, then crappage. From 1.3Mbps down, to 300kbps. I called them for support, did everything they asked. They first said it was the wiring in the house. Hooked the router directly to the phone box, still same bad results. In the end, they said the phone company says there is no problem so nothing will be done. I just switched to comcast cable 2 days ago, and so far so good. What I really am happy about is that there is only ONE company to deal with. With dsl, the ISP would blame the telco and the telco would blame the ISP, and nothing was done. Cable and DSL are both easy to set up.
Anyhow, from what my friends have told me, and from what I've seen, comcast cable is a solid company and there is hardly any downtime. DSL is good, but I was just so sick with what happened to me, I had to try cable.

Neitzl
Old 05-30-03, 05:39 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Comcast cable (formerly AT&T) and get crazy d/l speeds (2.6 MegaBits/Second). It's faster than the dual T1 access at work. I have absolutely no complaints *knock wood*. All of my friends and co-workers (all in the I.T. field) agree that cable is superior to DSL. Whether that's true or not, I dunno, but these guys are all geeks, so I trust them.
Old 05-30-03, 05:45 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 58,041
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
I have Comcast cable (formerly AT&T) and get crazy d/l speeds (2.6 MegaBits/Second). It's faster than the dual T1 access at work. I have absolutely no complaints *knock wood*. All of my friends and co-workers (all in the I.T. field) agree that cable is superior to DSL. Whether that's true or not, I dunno, but these guys are all geeks, so I trust them.
Yeah I keep hearing about how Cable will slow down if everyone's on but the people I know with Cable Net access don't have any complaints.

I guess it could happen... but I think it happens less than people think.

I'm scheduled to have -Road Runner/Time Warner- Cable access installed this weekend

I've been with Prodigy for YEARS and I'm going to have to dump them because they have -NO high Speed- in my area. The agent told me my area is scheduled to get it between now and 2005
Old 05-30-03, 08:46 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,420
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have prodigy (sbc) dsl right now, and the speeds aren't that fast. that, and the modem is a usb one. and it keeps losing the connection after an hour or two.

i'm gonna switch to earthlink (time warner) cable soon.
Old 05-30-03, 09:07 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As with most things, it's really going to depend on your providers and where you live. Personally, I'd recommend going with the more dependable company. A few extra k of bandwidth doesn't do much good when you're down 10% of the time or lose connection frequently. For the most part, cable and DSL will yield comparable overall results with, of course, the noted differences. I'd make the decision based on company integrity, the experience of friends, 24 hour support, etc.

das
Old 05-31-03, 06:50 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 543
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all...

One more question though... Im on a 56K modem dial up now.... Can you really tell the difference between 14X dial up (DSL @ 768 Kbps) and 28X dial up (Cable @ 1500 Kbps)? Or for the most parts, the speed is comparable?
Old 05-31-03, 09:58 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In a place without the cursed couch
Posts: 20,590
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you can tell the difference!!!

I was on Earthlink DSL 768 down/128 up and I was loving it after being on dialup for so many years.

I moved, and Earthlink wanted 2 months to change my service over, that was , to me, unacceptable. So I cancelled and went with Comcast.

Comcast gives me 1.5 down/256 up.

You can't really tell surfing, but file downloads such a HUGE difference...
Old 05-31-03, 10:24 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,193
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Neitzl
I just got rid of my dsl. I had Telocity.com dsl, which was great, 1.5Mbps up and down. They went bust, and during the last month, the speed was crap. They weren't any help and even told me to find another service. Anyways, switched to Speakeasy.net and that was great for two months, then crappage. From 1.3Mbps down, to 300kbps. I called them for support, did everything they asked. They first said it was the wiring in the house. Hooked the router directly to the phone box, still same bad results. In the end, they said the phone company says there is no problem so nothing will be done. I just switched to comcast cable 2 days ago, and so far so good. What I really am happy about is that there is only ONE company to deal with. With dsl, the ISP would blame the telco and the telco would blame the ISP, and nothing was done. Cable and DSL are both easy to set up.
Anyhow, from what my friends have told me, and from what I've seen, comcast cable is a solid company and there is hardly any downtime. DSL is good, but I was just so sick with what happened to me, I had to try cable.

Neitzl
a lot of people on http://slashdot.org speak very good words about speakeasy. They say that you can run servers and share files etc. Maybe that is why the speed isn't very fast?
Old 05-31-03, 10:33 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,420
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by ebs0303
Thanks to all...

One more question though... Im on a 56K modem dial up now.... Can you really tell the difference between 14X dial up (DSL @ 768 Kbps) and 28X dial up (Cable @ 1500 Kbps)? Or for the most parts, the speed is comparable?
depends on the actual speed, not the maximum speed. theorertically, the cable is twice as fast.
Old 06-01-03, 08:45 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,549
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by al_bundy
a lot of people on http://slashdot.org speak very good words about speakeasy. They say that you can run servers and share files etc. Maybe that is why the speed isn't very fast?
I know they have a pretty good rep, which is why I was completely let down with the service. Their support was pretty good to respond initially, and then it just went nowhere.
Oh well, comcast is really great now, as long as my neighbors don't run a warez ftp site that gets hit all day/night, I'll be happy!

Neitzl
Old 06-01-03, 11:38 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,341
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
All other things equal (quality of serivce, downtime, etc) the maximum speeds do come into play. When i had cable at home, i could download as fast as 300+ and upload around 30. Here in my apartment, the cheapest DSL option only lets me download around 150 and upload at 12. The upload can be a pain.
Old 06-01-03, 12:19 PM
  #16  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A really good site to hit is DSLReports , lots of good info there.
Old 06-02-03, 01:45 PM
  #17  
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Twilight zone
Posts: 2,157
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if this is still helpful or not but Verizon DSL started offering their 1.5 Megabit service for $34.95/month now. If you're already a customer, call them up and they'll upgrade you and drop the price if you're paying more. It takes about 2 weeks or so before the switchover is made but now DSLreports and a couple of other sites speed tested my connection at about 1.4!
Old 06-02-03, 07:15 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have comcast...can't complain about speed 1+meg d/l, 243 up...but it is expensive..and my cable bill is a rip off!

-pedagogue
Old 06-02-03, 07:57 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 6,739
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have both actually (dont ask) from respectively Cox and Qwest. I prefer using Cable.
Old 06-02-03, 08:42 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 543
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ravan
I have both actually (dont ask) from respectively Cox and Qwest. I prefer using Cable.
How do you like Cox? That seems to be my main cable option & Im just trying to research them. (Verizon DSL is the main DSL option).

BTW - the Cox CSR told me they are upgrading their system to handle 3.0 Mbps downloads.
Old 06-02-03, 10:26 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ebs0303
How do you like Cox?
*snicker*






Oh, sorry, forgot this isn't the Other Forum.
Old 06-03-03, 01:02 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 58,041
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by D.Pham00
i have prodigy (sbc) dsl right now, and the speeds aren't that fast. that, and the modem is a usb one. and it keeps losing the connection after an hour or two.

i'm gonna switch to earthlink (time warner) cable soon.

heh! I just CANCLED prodigy.sbc/yahoo or whatever there name is after being with them since the mid 90's. (edited to add) The reason was like I said above, they didn't offer High Speed in my area and according to girl on the phone it was scheduled between now and 2005

I went with Road Runner/Time Warner Cable internet and I swear my internet at home is faster than the one at work

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-04-03 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-03-03, 06:44 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have cable for 3 years and it has been great.

My 1st test I download 20 meg in 1 minute.

I have download programs, video (megs not gigs) and pictures with no problems.
Old 06-04-03, 01:42 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 38,102
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by ngp
Don't know if this is still helpful or not but Verizon DSL started offering their 1.5 Megabit service for $34.95/month now. If you're already a customer, call them up and they'll upgrade you and drop the price if you're paying more. It takes about 2 weeks or so before the switchover is made but now DSLreports and a couple of other sites speed tested my connection at about 1.4!
I don't see anything about 1.5Mb on their website. I would love to upgrade as it can be a bit sluggish on large file downloads.
Old 06-05-03, 04:23 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 198
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in an apartment complex that signed some contract with Broadband Now, which is the crappiest service I've ever used. Since I'm in a remote area, I think they satellite the signal in and split it up from there. Here's what they offer:

128 down / 128 up - $39.95/month
256 down / 128 up - $49.95/month
512 down / 256 up - $79.95/month
1 meg down / 512 up - $149.95/month!

Yes, I will be moving as soon as this lease is over...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.