Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video card advise needed

Old 05-29-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Video card advise needed

I am trying to breath one last little bit of life into my old computer, to tide me over 'til I buy a new system in a few months.

My current system specs are:
Athlon 800 with 196 RAM and a 32MB NVIDIA graphics card.
I believe the the motherboard will support only up to 4x AGP.

I am just wanting to upgrade the graphics card, at the moment.

A couple of cards that I'm considering are:

GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 3 Ti200 128MB (NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 GPU) for $88
or the
Palit Microsystems DAYTONA Geforce MX 400 AGP SDRAM video card 64 Bit NVIDIA 2nd generation 256-bit GPU for $36

My question is, with my current system, will I see a big difference in the performance of the 128 MB card as opposed to the 64 MB one?

Just wondering if my processor, being as old as it is, would create some sort of bottle neck that would prevent the 128 MB card from helping out much more.
Hopefully this makes sense!

Also, I am open to suggestions of good video cards in the $40-$75 range.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-29-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

John: I'm going through the same dilemma as to whether or not to upgrade my 16M TNT card in my PII-350 to a 32 or 64M card. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm better off saving the $$ and using the extra dollars when I buy a new system later this year. While the faster graphics card would be nice, when you factor in the impact of a slower processor on games etc, the performance increase would be negligible. To make the most of any system, all components must be optimized....so if you have a slow video card, hard drive, processor or motherboard bus, no matter what you do to optimize 3 of the 4 components, the last one will act like an anchor, especially with intensive games or multimedia applications.

Hope this makes some sense.

Greg
Old 05-29-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You need to figure out what video card you have in your system in the first place. There are tons of "32MB NVIDIA" cards out there, dating back to different variations of the TNT2. But that said, of the two choices you listed the GeForce 3 is by FAR the better card. The other card is a GeForce 2 MX variant, which is not only the budget card from Nvidia 4 years ago, but the MX 400 with SDRAM is the budget version of the budget card :-P In fact, i'm fairly certain that card only has 32MB of ram as well. You're looking at 64 bit, which is the bandwith of the memory.

The GeForce 3 is a little bit old, but its still a decent card and should be a nice boost for your system. I'm sure you can find some better deals around, but if you had to pick between those two i'd spend the extra money for the GeForce 3.
Old 05-29-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

here is a list of cards and relative performance.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...120/index.html

I might go with the ATI 8500 LE for $68 shipped at newegg. it is a 64 MB card but plenty fast for your computer.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

Last edited by gcribbs; 05-29-03 at 01:33 PM.