Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

"DSL Speed for only $8.95/month": True or Misleading?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-29-03, 04:26 AM
Suspended

I'm sure you've all seen this banner on Yahoo! or somewhere else. Maybe even seen it spammed in your emails. So anyway, does anyone know about this? The fact a person does not even have a DSL modem means there is probably no way a person can get DSL speeds.
Old 05-29-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if it sounds too good to be blah blah blah...
Old 05-29-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kinda true, I've seen others advertising this same type of service. Basically, they cache and compress web content before it gets to you. Thus, your pages load considerably faster. It doesn't, however speed up any streaming content or downloads. If all you do is surf the web I guess it would be alright. They hype the faster speed, but leave out those little details until you click thru for more info.
Old 05-29-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Perhaps a very, very slow DSL connection.

I saw an ad from Netzero touting a service similar to what you describe. But once you get real DSL, you can never go back.
Old 05-29-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its a gimick to increase the speed of web pages loading. It doesn't work with all web pages and your downloads are still slow.
Old 05-29-03, 08:52 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought i heard of a new technology that would increase the internet for dialups, thought it was something else tho. I'll see if i can find the article.
Old 05-29-03, 09:37 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by duz
I thought i heard of a new technology that would increase the internet for dialups, thought it was something else tho. I'll see if i can find the article.
It'll never happen. No ISP is going to go through the expense of replacing every modem in their system for a speed increase this late in the game. They'll stick with the 56Ks until they switch to broadband.
Old 05-29-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is basically what is happening. duz, I think what you heard about was the new v.44 compression which is included with the v.92 standard. This provides some marginal increase in download of compressible items like text. However, JPEGs, movie files, zipped files, and the like are not compressible, so they receive no benefit from v.44 or any of these other compression technologies, such as what NetZero is offering and this "DSL speed for $8.95".

Darren is correct, it is extremely expensive to upgrade dial-up hardware to support v.92, for very marginal benefit. No one wants to dump money into dial-up equipment anymore because it's on its way out. In my local area, there is only one ISP i found that is even testing v.92.

Broadband is the only place there is any growth. And only the big boys can really play there because they control the networks, and the margins are so slim.