Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can you make an audio DVD?

Old 05-28-03, 06:41 PM
X
Administrator

Can you make an audio DVD?

I've been having good luck with burning stuff onto DVD-R lately and I thought it would be nice to make a DVD containing about 9 CDs worth of wav files. Then I could play it in a DVD player.

Apparently both Nero and Easy CD Creator won't burn wav files to a DVD.
Old 05-28-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm curious too. But to me, it just would seem so much easier to burn them as mp3s.
Old 05-28-03, 07:47 PM
X
Administrator

I don't do mp3. And I want to be able to play them in standalone DVD players that don't support mp3.
Old 05-28-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are stand alone DVD players that don't support mp3s? I thought it was the other way around - most DVD players couldn't play WAVs, but can do mp3s and WMAs. I do remember your old thread where you said you already ripped them all to wavs. That'd sure suck to have to convert them all to something else.
Old 05-28-03, 08:08 PM
X
Administrator

Most DVD players double as CD players. CD players pay CDs with wav files burned in audio CD format.

You may have misunderstood (or I expressed it badly) and thought I'm trying to play the files. I'm not. I'm trying to play an audio CD, except it's a DVD with much more capacity.

I have a feeling that the Redbook standard can't handle it.
Old 05-28-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe this'll do it?
Old 05-28-03, 08:22 PM
X
Administrator

Looks like an interesting product, but I don't think so.

The problem is in the burning of the DVD. The burning software I've tried will only create audio/music CDs, not audio/music DVDs.

There probably isn't any standard for them other than the commercial music DVDs, but I don't think they hold any more than regular CDs. They just have several tracks or something so they can play 44.1KHz, DTS, DD5.1, etc. And I don't know what is used to burn those. Funny, we might be getting into that arena.
Old 05-28-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could try a product called Steelisc welder. It's advertised on the Sound Blaster website as being able to create DVD-A's using DVD-R's.
Old 05-28-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X

Most DVD players double as CD players. CD players pay CDs with wav files burned in audio CD format.

You may have misunderstood (or I expressed it badly) and thought I'm trying to play the files. I'm not. I'm trying to play an audio CD, except it's a DVD with much more capacity.

I have a feeling that the Redbook standard can't handle it.
Oh, I though you were trying to burn the WAVS directly to the DVD then play on it on the stand alone DVD player and I forgot that wavs could be converted to a regular audio CD format.
Old 05-28-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The DVD-Video spec has provisions for having a standard, uncompresed 2-channel PCM audio track. All you need to do is put some video with your audio. Just do a black screen or still image or something. Turn the bitrate way down on the video. You should still end up with most of the 4.7 GB on the DVD-R. Then, just leave your TV off. Author the DVD to auto-start, and then you can just play it in any DVD player.
Old 05-28-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
You could try a product called Steelisc welder. It's advertised on the Sound Blaster website as being able to create DVD-A's using DVD-R's.
Yeah, you could also go the DVD-Audio route. But if you don't need 6 channel audio, it's probably not worth it. I think you can probably create 2-channel DVD-Audio disc, but then you still need a DVD Player capable of reading DVD-A. It's probably easier to go the DVD-Video route.
Old 05-28-03, 11:48 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Todd B.
The DVD-Video spec has provisions for having a standard, uncompresed 2-channel PCM audio track. All you need to do is put some video with your audio. Just do a black screen or still image or something. Turn the bitrate way down on the video. You should still end up with most of the 4.7 GB on the DVD-R. Then, just leave your TV off. Author the DVD to auto-start, and then you can just play it in any DVD player.
That sounds reasonable and like a very good idea.

I wonder how it will handle hundreds of tracks. Will each have to be set up as a separate chapter or will I have to merge them all together?
Old 05-29-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

X, the Veritas software that came with the Sony will make music DVDs and you don't need video. I haven't tried it yet though.
Old 05-29-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
That sounds reasonable and like a very good idea.

I wonder how it will handle hundreds of tracks. Will each have to be set up as a separate chapter or will I have to merge them all together?
I'm not sure what the limit on the number of chapters per title is. I would think it would be more than the, say, 99 track limit on audio CD's.

You could break up the CD's into different titles on the DVD.
Old 05-29-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Todd B.

I don't know much about the DVD standard, but when I was making SVCDs, I was able to mux a still frame (not video of a still frame) with the audio, adding only a few kb to the finished product (just enough for the image itself) and removing bitrate as a factor. At the time, none of the SVCD creation software knew how to do this, so I had to write my own app to do it using an interface to cygwin and the jpegtools package.

Anyway, it's very likely that this can be done with DVD as well, and maybe some of the authoring software has this feature built-in? Either way, it will save you a lot of space if you can get a true still-frame to work instead of a video of one. It's worth looking in to.

das
Old 05-29-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, you know what, das is on to something. I think you have to use a menu interface, but you can have a still photo menu, with music playing. Think of any DVD with a still menu and music playing. For example, Mars Attacks, the first DVD with music in the menus. Also, the original DD-only version of The Thin Red Line has those Malay songs on it. It has a still menu, and you choose your song, and then it plays the song with the still menu still on the screen. That eliminates the video bitrate, and you can devote all the space to the audio files.

Also, I was thinking, if you don't mind the compression, you could AC-3 encode all the audio into a DD2.0 stereo track, and then you could fit at least 20 CD's on one DVD-R, and still have it play on any DVD player.