Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DDR or rdram(rambus)?

Old 05-28-03, 04:50 PM

DDR or rdram(rambus)?

I have been reading several places and I can't decide if rambus is worth the price difference over 3200 ddr. Does anyone know what the actual performance difference really is. I find a lot of places that don't even sell the rdram which worries me a little. If anyone knows anything about this that would help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 05-28-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

definitly ddr
rambus is more expensive.. harder to find (places like crucial dont even carry it).. going obselete.. buggier... etc..

unless you have a board that only supports rdram.. there is no way i would recommend it to anyone
Old 05-28-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I read somewhere that Rambus is on it's way out. Whether Intel won't be supporting RDRAM in the future or what I can't remember exactly. Anyways, an www.anandtech.com forums search will find you the answer. DDR seems to be the way to go now.
Old 05-30-03, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As twikoff said, it doesn't really matter. No motherboards that I know of support both kinds of memory. You have to get what your motherboard currently supports.
Old 05-30-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, rambus is on its way out. Intel is currently heading towards Dual Channel DDR, similar to what AMD is also using.
Old 05-30-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have rambus It's too expensive.
Old 05-30-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What exactly is wrong with RDRAM? Is it bad to get a mobo that only supports it?
Old 05-31-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
What exactly is wrong with RDRAM? Is it bad to get a mobo that only supports it?
Theres nothing wrong with it. Actually from a technological standpoint its superior to DDR Ram. Its just more expensive to produce.
Old 05-31-03, 01:27 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Thunderball
I have rambus It's too expensive.
So do I, it came with my dell 8250. I wish now that I didnt have it. Way to damn expensive to add more & the only place I can find extra is thru dell.com itself.
Old 05-31-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ddrram(Double Data Rate Random Access Memory) is supposed to be twice as fast. pc1600 (200mhz), pc2100 (266mhz), pc2700 (300mhz), pc3000 (366mhz), pc3200 (400mhz), pc3500(433mhz), pc3700(466mhz). the bandwith of pc2100 is 2.1gb/sec. they also have dual channel ddr, which uses two pc2100 chips, and effectively doubles the bandwith

sdram only reads data on the rise of a clock signal whereas ddrram reads the rise and fall, hence, it's twice as fast.

rdram is much different than the aforementioned. it runs at 600,700, 800, or 1066mhz. it sends less information on the data bus, but sends it more quickly. also, for rdram, you have to fill the blank slots with a continuity module (kinda like a place holder), whereas the aforementioned memory does not require this. rdram has a higher latency (the amount of time it takes for the memory to flow). the chips are connected in series, so the data has to pass through all the modules before it can hit the bus. that said, rdram never really gained popularity.

i don't think rdram is worth the price. you'd be better off going with dual channel ddr.
Old 05-31-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by D.Pham00
rdram never really gained popularity.
thats it in a nutshell
and the reason behind why it will become obsolete