Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I have an MP3 question. (ID3 tags)

Old 05-27-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have an MP3 question. (ID3 tags)

Is there a good program that will allow me to view my whole list of mp3s and their ID3 tags so I can make changes? I have one of the Sony Sport BoomBoxes ($49 Target Deal) and some of my mp3s have bad tags.

Whats the best software for this?
Old 05-27-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tag&Rename, you can get a 30 day trial here:

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
Old 05-27-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks.
Old 05-27-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

J. River Media Center.
Old 05-28-03, 04:31 PM
toq

There seem to be numerous utilities available for modifying ID3 tags in MP3 files.

ID3-TagIT

MP3 Rename

.mp3Tagger

Mp3 Tag Tools

MP3-Tag Generator

BTW, all of the software listed is free. Hopefully, you'll find something of use among them. Good luck.
Old 05-28-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the list
Old 05-28-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Musicmatch has super tagging capabilities. It's the best I've seen.
Old 05-29-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was looking for just this kind of thing last night. Perfect timing

Oh yes, I did like Musicmatch's tagging, but I didn't really want to pay for it...yes, I am a cheapskate
Old 05-29-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

another vote for ID3-TagIt. That's what works the fastest for me.
Old 01-03-04, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by toq
There seem to be numerous utilities available for modifying ID3 tags in MP3 files.

ID3-TagIT

MP3 Rename

.mp3Tagger

Mp3 Tag Tools

MP3-Tag Generator

BTW, all of the software listed is free. Hopefully, you'll find something of use among them. Good luck.

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I have a question about all this free tagging software. I was using MusicMatch, but I'm converting to iTunes. The one thing I liked about MusicMatch is that it would grab album covers, which I can now even view on my Archos Multimedia player. I can also view these in iTunes.

As far as I can tell iTunes can't grab album covers. Does anyone know if any of the above software can grab album covers easily for MP3's I already have on my hard drive?
Old 01-03-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Tag and Rename can grab album covers, only if you use the button to grab from AllMusic. It's the little world icon with the arrow.
Old 01-03-04, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I was hoping one of the frees could do that.

I've also come to the realization that renaming all of my current MP3's will suck because I'll have to readd them to iTunes. I guess that's not so bad, I suppose. If I do it all at once and then name the files before importing from there on out.
Old 01-03-04, 01:41 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just used Amazon and added the covers manualy to iTunes, wasn't that hard.
Old 01-03-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by duz
While you could do that, if you want to add the ID tags and add the covers at the same time, Tag and Rename is the way to go!
Old 01-03-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could also use The Magic sfsdfd ID3 Tag/Filename Toolset.

I've written a couple of widgets that can be used (especially together) for good results. The beauty of these tools is that they're completely automated: you just run 'em, and they'll do the job.
  • ID3 tag tool: Strips out ID3/ID3v2/lyrics tags. Creates a new ID3 and ID3v2 tag, based solely on the filename of the MP3. So if you have "The Doors - Light My Fire.mp3", it will create ID3 and ID3v2 tags with "The Doors" as the artist and "Light My Fire" as the trackname. Also, the widget reads all of the .M3U files in the current directory (and assumes that these are album files), and uses that information for album information.
  • ID3 anti-tag tool: Does the opposite of the above - renames MP3 files based on the information in their ID3 tags. Also fixes references to renamed files in every M3U list in the current directory.
Drop me an email if you'd find either of these useful, and I'll send them to you with a description of how to use them.

- David Stein
Old 01-03-04, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by duz
Seems like a long process. It'd be easier to just use MusicMatch for only covers. I don't have the funds to send towards Tag&Rename right now, either.
Old 01-04-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

-

Last edited by skiblet; 01-12-04 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-04-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. The sorting feature might be kind of appealing. skiblet, can you name some other features that you use on WMP9 that aren't in other MP3 software packages?

- David Stein
Old 01-04-04, 01:51 PM

I agree. I guess I don't exactly see what WMP9 has beyond, say, iTunes. Sorting is quite easy in iTunes.
Old 01-11-04, 03:26 AM
Banned

I used to use WMP9 for all my sorting and such, but I've gotten away from it now. It can do automatic lookup and tagging and such, but it's not very good at it. It's also highly inconsistent and when it changes the ID3 tag of a file and when it simply updates it's database only. The inconsistent nature finally got me to drop it as my main organizer program. Not to mention the fact that it become unbelievably slow once you get above 2000 or so songs in the library.

At the moment, I'm using Tag&Rename (a *wonderful* program) to do all my tagging and then organizing manually. I haven't found any organizer programs with auto-tagging and folder organization in the same way that WMP9 does it, but I'm still looking. I use iTunes for many library based functions at the moment, but it's less than perfect in a lot of ways.

I may have to write my own file organizer system. Everything I want is out there, but no one system does it perfectly.
Old 01-12-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

-

Last edited by skiblet; 01-12-04 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by skiblet
id like to hear from a mod why my MP3 thread was locked, and I was insulted and scolded for talking about mp3 software, and this one seems to be continuing on its merry way, even with a Mod in here.

If they are illegal, and im not allowed to talk about them, then why is this thread not locked!?
You talked about programs that allow you to illegally DL MP3s. This thread is talking about changing tags on MP3s. Surely you can see the difference?
Old 01-12-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

-
Now you're making sense.

MP3s are not in and of themselves illegal. It's perfectly fine, for example, for me to take a CD I bought and convert tracks to MP3 to listen to on my computer or on an MP3 player.

But you were complaining about being mildly inconvenienced in your efforts to download music that you didn't pay for. Like it or not, agree with it or not, that's illegal.

Oh, and then you resorted to personal attacks and insults.
Old 01-12-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if i would have known that this crowd was so stiff, i think i would have probably asked my software question somewhere else.
Old 01-12-04, 10:52 PM
X
Administrator

if i would have known that this crowd was so stiff, i think i would have probably asked my software question somewhere else.
If you keep up at this rate and don't understand our rules that would be a very good idea.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.