Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Program to personalize to: field of emails?

Old 05-26-03, 10:56 PM

Program to personalize to: field of emails?

I was wondering if there was a cheap/free email program or plugin for Outlook XP where I can enter a list of email addresses and press send, but the recipient only sees their name in the to: field. I know I can use bcc so that no one can see who the message was sent to, but i'd rather do it this way:

send one email addressed to: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

have each recipient see that it was sent directly to him/her only.

just to allay any concerns -- this is not for spam or anything like that, i just want to be able to send messages to a list of family/friends that seem more personal.

hopefully, this makes some sense. thanks for the help.

EDIT: one more question -- any recommendations for programs/plugins that allow me to schedule when emails are sent. i want to make sure certain emails are sent in the middle of the day, but i'd like to write them the night before and have them sent at a specified time (because I'm not at my computer in the middle of the day). Thanks again.

cardinal.

Last edited by cardinal; 05-26-03 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 09:40 AM

Hi,

I don't know of any program, but this could be easily obtained in excel (or any other program that uses VBA). You can have your list of email addresses and for instance the time when you want to send the email to the person in question, and then write some code that will loop through the list, and use the function "Sendmail" to individually send each email separate.

I could write you something like that if you were interested in it. Just let me know.

LolaRennt.
Old 05-27-03, 11:25 AM

I could write you something like that if you were interested in it. Just let me know.
If you would be willing to do that, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

cardinal.
Old 05-27-03, 11:30 AM

What version of excel are you using?
Old 05-27-03, 11:48 AM

Excel XP, Outlook XP, and Windows XP Pro (not that I think this is relevant).

Also, LolaRennt, I really appreciate you writing the code for me.

However, I was wondering if anyone else knew of a program that does something similar -- I actually think for my purposes the Excel code will work best, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything else. (I found a bulk email program that works pretty well, but its $150... if anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

Thanks.
cardinal.

Last edited by cardinal; 05-29-03 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-29-03, 04:50 PM

bump to see if anyone else had any recommendations...

thanks
cardinal.
Old 05-29-03, 05:31 PM
toq

Have you considered some type of mailing list/newsletter management program for your first request? There are plenty of these type of programs out there that should be able to send a message to list of recipients of your choosing and some even let you "personalize" the message to each recipient.

As to your second request—assuming it's not related to your first request—do you know that you can delay e-mail messages in Outlook? I know you can do this in Outlook 2000 but I'm not certain if it's changed in Outlook XP. To find out, start a new message and then click on the "Options" button (or View -> Options menu command). One of the options should read "Do not deliver before". Enable that option and specify the earliest time it can be delivered. The only caveat—although a bit obvious—is that Outlook must remain open in order to deliver the message at that time.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-03, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by cardinal
Excel XP, Outlook XP, and Windows XP Pro (not that I think this is relevant).

Also, LolaRennt, I really appreciate you writing the code for me.

However, I was wondering if anyone else knew of a program that does something similar -- I actually think for my purposes the Excel code will work best, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything else. (I found a bulk email program that works pretty well, but its $150... if anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

Thanks.
cardinal.
Hi, sorry it took me so long. This whole code seemed to be a timing problem for Microsoft applications, so I had to do some testing to get the timing right.

First of all, I almost entirely copied the code from the following link: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip86.htm ; note that I am not affiliated with this website.

You will now create a new excel file. In sheet1, you put the following information:

column a: names of the people you are sending emails to
columb b: email address of those people
column c: in my example, I put the annual bonus. You do not need to fill this column
column d: time at which the email has to be sent. Note that there must be at least an 8 second gap between each email. Also make sure that the send time is chronologically ordered from earliest to latest.

Secondly, you will create a new macro, and copy the following code in there (do not include the ****************)

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _
Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, _
ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, _
ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

Sub SendEMail()
Dim Email As String, Subj As String
Dim Msg As String, URL As String
Dim r As Integer, x As Double
r = 2
' sort the emails according to sendTime
While Cells(r, 2) <> ""
' wait untill send time
Application.Wait (Cells(r, 4))
' Get the email address
Email = Cells(r, 2)

' Message subject
Subj = "Your Annual Bonus"

' Compose the message
Msg = ""
Msg = Msg & "Dear " & Cells(r, 1) & "," & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
Msg = Msg & "I am pleased to inform you that your annual bonus is "
Msg = Msg & Cells(r, 3).Text & "." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
Msg = Msg & "William Rose" & vbCrLf
Msg = Msg & "President"

' Replace spaces with %20 (hex)
Subj = Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(Subj, " ", "%20")
Msg = Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(Msg, " ", "%20")

' Replace carriage returns with %0D%0A (hex)
Msg = Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(Msg, vbCrLf, "%0D%0A")
' Create the URL
URL = "mailto:" & Email & "?subject=" & Subj & "&body=" & Msg

' Execute the URL (start the email client)
ShellExecute 0&, vbNullString, URL, vbNullString, vbNullString, vbNormalFocus

' Wait two seconds before sending keystrokes
Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:03"))
Application.SendKeys "%s"
r = r + 1
Wend
End Sub

Finally, if you now run this macro, and if Microsoft is in a good mood, everything goes fine, and your emails are sent.

I must admit that this was a frustrating experience testing this code. If the code doesn't run very well, you can try the second code example on the page that I referenced above.

If you need any further help, or you would rather me email you an excel file with sheet1 and the macro set up as explained above, the just tell me your email address.

Yours,
LolaRennt.
Old 06-04-03, 12:34 AM

Thank you, LolaRennt. Finally got around to testing it out and it seems to work pretty well -- but for some reason it only sent emails to two of the three email addresses listed. Still, it is better than not having anything, and I appreciate the assistance.

cardinal.