Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

SERVER Discussion Thread (Web, Email, Music, Data, etc)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-23-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...

I'm about to get my second server to use as a web server. I thought a discussion thread on servers might be useful for many.

To start it off, here are some questions about what you currently do with your servers:

WEB Servers:

Do you have one? What do you host? What software do you use to make it work? What do you do for security? Do you have a static IP or do you use one of those dynamic IP changer programs? And so on.

EMAIL Servers:

Do you have one? Why this rather than the many email hosts that can pop3 to you? What software?

MUSIC Servers:

Do you have tons of MP3 files on your system? Do you just play it on your computer? Or do you have one of those devices to pipe it to your stereo and speakers throughout the house?

DATA Servers:

Ok, traditional stuff here, but what do you need this for as opposed to just having stuff on your desktop (assuming home use here)? For me, for example, I share data with my wife that we both edit and use (ledger, book documents, etc.)

OTHER Servers:

Do you use your server in odd and strange ways? Tell us about it.
Old 05-23-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am running three servers.

One web server running Red Hat 9 and Apache. I use that for my personal site I have been building for ages. I am doing all CGI scripting to build it and it has been a slow learning experience for me.

I have another server that I use for my Forum. It runs Apache32, MySQL, PHP and I am running vBulletin software. It's been a slow learning experience for me on MySQL also, but I am coming around on it now. The forum runs great but I am running PHP as a CGI binary, which when it goes full blown, could slow things down a bit. I would like to try and run it as a static module in Apache but I am having trouble finding resources on doing that. (I wonder how Geoff runs it here?).

I have a "server" that I use at home as a central media server. With the new HTPC I just built I will record TV shows from the HTPC to the central server using Gigabit ethernet. The only thing I haven't checked out is one of those thingys that connect sto your receiver for streaming MP3s...don't really see the need for that.

Damn...I'm a nerd.
Old 05-23-03, 06:22 PM
lxl

I am running the following servers on a home-made Linux router (StrongARM 66mHz/32MB/20GB), Using Dynamic IP:

accessible from internet:
1. WebServer: with Apache2. Hosting personal pictures for friends and families;
2. FTP server: with wu-ftpd;
3. sshd server: mainly for system maintenance, with OpenSSH;
4. PPTP (VPN) server: with poptop;

only in LAN:
1. Email server: only a private SMTP for myself, with PostFix;
2. a local mp3 radio: with IceCast;
3. a simple SQL database server: with Postgresql;
4. a time-sync server: with xntp;
5. Windows file/print-sharing: with samba;

--------------
Future plan:
1. an online forum similar as DVDTalk: with phpBB.
Old 05-23-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use IIS in win2003 server for hosting a few basic pages at home, and testing new code for work. Also use mainly PHP/mysql for the web stuff.

My email server @home is FTgate, which runs on the above machine (celeron 700). Serv-u ftp server. Occasionally use shoutcast mp3 server for streaming music, when I run into formats that won't play directly on my audiotron (streams into winamp, it then coverts it into shoutcast and streams to the audiotron, basically a middleman)

I run my own email because I like making it work, and I never, ever receive junk mail to my primary account. No other email service can match that.

As far as security, and install all the security updates for windows, use a sonicwall firewall, and limit most access.
EDIT: oh, and I keep most of my files on the server (mp3's, movies) so they are accesible from any of the other computers in the house, or if I need to ftp to grab something while I am at work. It has about 150 gigs of drive space.
Dave

Last edited by Dave99; 05-24-03 at 03:18 PM.