Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

High speed wireless access from 3/4 mile?

Old 05-23-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

High speed wireless access from 3/4 mile?

Ok, since I apparently can't rent some space on the local telephone poles...

I'm desperate to get high speed net access. Time Warner's lines run within about 3/4 of a mile from my house. The area is basically flat, with many tall trees between me and and TW's lines.

Also, there is a high voltage power line between me and where I'd get the modem set up. I'm not sure what kind (if any?) interference this would cause.

Are there any wireless solutions that'll help me out?

Also, the only place where I could set u modem is a convenience store on the main road (I'm friends with the owner, I think she'd let me as long as I paid the bill of course)

Also, will TW install a residential class connection in a business? (Remember, it'd be for me, not the C-store where I'd have to set it up. I'd prefer not to have to pay $100+ a month for business class RR.

By the way, I don't mind losing some speed if necessary due to the distance. I don't plan on doing much downloading of large files, I just want a decent speed/low latency conncetion to be used mostly for gaming (I'd probably be fine with 250k

Also, what's the deal with T1's? I'm assuming most small ISPs must have at least a T1 for their connection, even the ones in small towns. Does that mean a T1 can be installed anywhere? What's the normal pricing for a T1?

Last edited by Mongo; 05-23-03 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-23-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A T1 would cost you at least 500 a month, plus setup. Probably need a contract to. You're only potential option is some sort of rigged wireless system from the convenience store. You would have to put a wireless access point there, rig up an external, high powered directional antenna both there and at your house. When you got done with all that, then I would say you have at least a very small chance of success.
Dave
Old 05-23-03, 10:00 AM
Stealth Moderator

Have you thought about this?
http://www.directpc.com
Old 05-23-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but directPC isn't good for gaming, there's a lot of latency

What software and online activities might be incompatible with an EarthLink Satellite connection?
Your satellite connection won't prevent you from doing the things you like on the Web. However, certain time-sensitive Internet applications (NetMeeting, NetPhone, online games, and any application that connects to a virtual private network) don't perform their best over a satellite connection.

Any signal you send from your computer via satellite has to travel over 44,000 miles to space and back again in order to deliver your information, and because of this, a certain lag occurs in real-time communications that you send to a friend or to an Internet site. (By contrast, Web pages, which you download, will arrive very quickly.)

If you use NetMeeting, NetPhone, any application that connects to a virtual private network, or online games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Diablo, or EverQuest, please be aware that they are not recommended and not supported for use with EarthLink Satellite.