Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sound problem on computer

Old 05-23-03, 12:33 AM
Banned

Sound problem on computer

I started having a problem my Gateway computer - something new, huh?

I noticed this past weekend that every time I played a sound, there was an incredible echo effect. Videos, MP3s, even the regular sounds that the computer makes, (clicks and such), have this effect.

In an older system, I had a SoundBlaster card and I could go in and adjust all of the effects, including echo. On this system, the sound card, which is listed as 'SoundBlaster Audigy Audio with IEEE 1394', is intergrated and I can only adjust basic settings.

Anyway, the only thing that changed was that I installed the game GTA: VICE CITY and had been playing it. There does seem to be some echo in the game, but it seems to me that restarting should reset everything, which it didn't. I even uninstalled the game, and that had no effect.

Went round and round with Gateway, and their solution, after reinstalling the sound driver (which didn't work), was to send me a new motherboard which will have to be installed. Too bad the sound card is intergrated.

Questions......

If something was wrong with the soundcard, why would I get any sound? I can hear everything - there's just that odd echo.

Has anyone replaced a motherboard from Gateway? They say that everything is on it, which I assume means the processor, but what about my HD? Will it keep everything I've installed or do I have to start from scratch?

Lastly, like with the majority of computer problems, neither I nor Gateway have any idea what has caused this problem. I just wish I knew what happened so I could avoid it in the future.

Any thoughts......? Thanks....
Old 05-23-03, 02:29 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

not sure because this is an integrated sound card...

but since its an audigy, try maybe installing drivers from creative labs website? I have an audigy and I actually have more problems with it than I did with the live!.

well, in short, installing creative labs drivers will give you AudioHQ, which has EAX control... you should be able to set it to normal there.

also, you might see if GTA: VICE CITY has an option for EAX sound enabled, and perhaps try disabling it?
Old 05-23-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that's the EAX thing. The most overrated thing Creative has ever done. :rolleye:
Old 05-23-03, 09:36 AM
Banned

Thanks for the replies. I tried installing the newest driver from Creative, but it kept telling me that a file was missing when it tried to install.

So I figured I'd give the system restore a shot. After backing up all of my files (I had a bad experience with system restore on WinME and didn't want to take a chance), I restored the system back to a date before I installed GTA:Vice City. Well, that worked. The echo was gone. Guess I don't need the new motherboard after all...

So I installed GTA again, and have been playing it with no problem. The 'echo' has not returned. So the problem doesn't appear to be the game. All I know is that on 5/15 I had no problem, and by 5/18, when I was playing a vid off Apple's Quicktime site, I had the echo problem. Can't figure out what I might have done in that four days. I'll probably never know. Welcome to the wonderful world of modern computers....