DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-22-03, 06:17 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cancelling AOL

So my in-laws are now riding the wave of the present, and have a cable modem. The previously had AOL and were going to cancel but the rep. said for $8 a month they could keep the minimum service so their IM is still valid.

Is this the case? Are there other options to interact with others on AOL with-out actually being a member yourself?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-03, 06:38 PM   #2
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They can use AIM

www.aim.com

And they can still use the same name too, ... I did.

They would have to get a different email address with their new ISP, or with one of the free-mails out there.
Old 05-22-03, 07:21 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Cancelling AOL

Quote:
Originally posted by jon-w9
The previously had AOL and were going to cancel but the rep. said for $8 a month they could keep the minimum service so their IM is still valid.
Wow, that's so deceptive.
Old 05-22-03, 08:34 PM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Cancelling AOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Wow, that's so deceptive.
I expect nothing less from AOL, bunch of dirty basta*ds.

Do not under any circumstances pay 8 bucks for AIM as it is a free utility.
take control
Old 05-22-03, 09:56 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone want to buy a county library card? I can get valid ones for any library in the US..only $19.95+ shipping!

-pedagogue

ps. I knew a guy who sold "bus" passes to frosh at Rutgers....the shuttle was free...and so was the beer that he bought for a few months..from the money for the bus "passes".
Old 05-22-03, 10:24 PM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AOL was, is and will forever be scum. Dump them completely, tell them to cut their 'keep the customers at any cost' scripts short and get a real provider. AIM is free and that is a large part of the reason why they have 50 gajillion 'users.'

No one should be using AOL for any price in this day and age. Even if they offer the broadband service in your area they probably offer RoadRunner since it's the same company that owns both, so go with them if you must.
"If a sufficient number of people who wanted to stop war really did gather together, they would first of all begin by making war upon those who disagreed with them. And it is still more certain that they would make war on people who also want to stop wars but in another way." -- Gurdjieff
Old 05-23-03, 01:08 AM   #7
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cancelling AOL can be a bureaucratic hassle and they'll do just about anything to keep members -- a major reason why you can't simply cancel your account on-line. I used AOL at one time out of necessity, even though I hated the service. Eventually I decided to cancel, and when I told the customer rep to stop haggling me and asked why I couldn't cancel my account the same way I originally signed (on-line), she claimed it was for "security" reasons. I don't buy that. If they have all these on-line secure measures to allow you to subscribe to their service in the first place, then why couldn't you do the same to cancel? The customer rep also claimed that too many people cancelled their accounts by accident. How can that be? It's not like you click one button and are automatically cancelled. But then again, most AOL users are illiterate computer hicks to begin with.
Old 05-23-03, 07:37 AM   #8
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured the whole thing was a sham, but my in-laws always know better than I do...

The part I wasn't sure about is whether or not those on IM can still keep their ID or if the need new ones. I guess it doesn't matter too much.

On the other hand, I have had AOL free for a year now. My PC came with a free 6 mos. and every time I call to cancel i get another 2 mos. free. I don't use it, but my wife does. I guess it is related to her parents.
Old 05-23-03, 05:33 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

This is like the from I got in the mail for my homestead exemption. They wanted a 49 dollar processing fee to fill out a form I can get on the web for free. AOL=Virus.
Old 05-24-03, 12:12 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Eplicon
Cancelling AOL can be a bureaucratic hassle and they'll do just about anything to keep members -- a major reason why you can't simply cancel your account on-line. I used AOL at one time out of necessity, even though I hated the service. Eventually I decided to cancel, and when I told the customer rep to stop haggling me and asked why I couldn't cancel my account the same way I originally signed (on-line), she claimed it was for "security" reasons. I don't buy that. If they have all these on-line secure measures to allow you to subscribe to their service in the first place, then why couldn't you do the same to cancel? The customer rep also claimed that too many people cancelled their accounts by accident. How can that be? It's not like you click one button and are automatically cancelled. But then again, most AOL users are illiterate computer hicks to begin with.
I've had the same problem. I was out of town and my $10.00 ATT did not have a local number. So I used one of those "free" disc's. I forgot to cancel and they charged me for 2-3 months. Which was my fault, fine. But I called twice to cancel. 1st time they said their computer was down and I would have to call back the next day. Well of course I forgot for a week or two, and so another bill went thru. So Called again. They offered to give me a month free, for me to "reconsider", then if I didn't call back my account would automatically be canceled. Guess, what? It was not. So another charge. So got to call them again....

Home Theater Build
Old 05-24-03, 01:28 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Oh to have the function DOS AOL v1.0 had of simply cancelling online. One magic button and you were done.

Of course the fun way is to get TOS'd Or do they even bother to have guides in the rooms anymore?

Back in the day, I sent an e-mail a day to Steve Case complaining about the service. I ended up not paying for my account for 8 years.
Old 05-24-03, 03:01 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

best way to cancel is to call your credit card company and tell them you are having a problem with aol charging your account. ask them to cancel the account and reissue a new card and account number.

No more charges from aol again
Denon 2802