Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cable modem issue.

Old 05-22-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cable modem issue.

My PC's hard disk crashed last night and I started rebuilding it today but after I got on the Internet my PC kept on getting the BSOD. After multiple trys at a fix, I unplugged the cable modem's USB cable and booted the system. To my surprise this fixed the BSOD problem and still allowed me to get on the Internet!

Should I keep it like this or is there some other issues I have to worry about like keeping people off of my PC? I do use Norton Firewall but I'm not sure if this is a serious issue or not.
Old 05-22-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get rid of the USB cable modem and get a network card.
Old 05-22-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dave99
Get rid of the USB cable modem and get a network card.
I actually have both. A USB modem + Nic card.
Old 05-23-03, 08:36 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your question doesn't make much sense. You say that you unplugged the USB cable from the cable modem, yet you were still able to get on the Internet... This leads me to believe you had the cable modem hooked up via BOTH USB and your NIC. If that is the case, if you had it hooked up both ways to the same computer, that is pointless. If you had it hooked to two different computers (one USB, one NIC), that is also not a good idea. Leaving aside the fact that you should always use NICs for networking (they were designed for this, USB wasn't), most cable modems that support USB and Ethernet do not support the use of both simultaneously (some Toshiba modems do but I still don't recommend using USB for this).

So, yes, if you currently have it working via NIC only, leave it that way. If you need to use your cable modem connection with multiple PCs, buy a router. Depeding on the model, they can be had for well under $100.

Finally, I'm not sure why you are apparently more concerned about security now than previously. Your PC was as insecure when the cable modem was connected via USB as it is connected via your NIC. You are right to be concerned though because use of a cable modem does make you an easier target because you are basically part of a large LAN with others on your cable system, and you have an IP address that changes much less frequently (if at all) than a dialup user. Thus, you absolutely should have some sort of firewall, whether it be software, hardware (most routers include basic firewall functionality), or both.

As far as software goes, I hate Norton products and would never use them myself. However, since you already have Norton Firewall, assuming it is working properly, I guess you should stick with it. In the future, I would recommend Agnitum Outpost, Sygate, Kerio, or (to a lesser extent) Zone Alarm. All of these have free versions, as well as pay-for versions with more advanced features.