Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions on final parts to my Intel Pc, please

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-21-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is what I already have and will be using...
Antec 1080AMG w/tru power 430watts
Lite-on DVD 16x
Lite-on CDRW
Maxtor 80gb 7200
Maxtor 40gb 7200
Viewsonic 21" P815
Microsoft Keyboard and Intellimouse Explorer
Windows XP Professional

I want to spend around 700 in cash which I know will just about cover the cpu, mobo, and memory. The video card and sound card I may use some gift certificates I have been holding onto or I can always go over but I want to stay below 1000.00

So I need Cpu, Mobo, Memory, Video Card and Sound Card.
I am leaning towards the Intel Pentium 2.4c
Not sure on mobo, I have read some good things about the Abit IC7-G.
I have no idea on memory.
Probably go Ti4200 for now to save some money for now and then hit the parents up for a new card this summer for my birthday or Christmas.
Sound card I may go Audigy 2, unless someone steers me elsewhere.

This pc will be primarily for gaming and internet surfing and the occasional dvd.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because this P3 500 needs to go
Old 05-21-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Drop the Intel and go AMD
Old 05-21-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking at building up a Pentium 2.8c and plan on using the Abit IC-7 and Corsair 512MB PC3500 (Get two of these for 1G of memory). The Abit comes with integrated audio that should be good. Can't help ya' with the video card as a I plan to move my Ti4400 across from my old PC.
Old 05-24-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had read some issues over at Sharky's regarding the abit board and I am waiting to hear about the Asus board. Any reason you are going to the 2.8c? Are you planning on overclocking? I have heard people getting 3.2 and up on the 2.4c on air very easily.
Old 05-25-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would rather have the 3.0GHz myself, but that costs 50% more then the 2.8GHz. $150 for 200MHz doesn't seem worth it. So, the 2.8 GHz is my personal "sweet spot". I really haven't decided to overclock or not, but I at least want the capability.

Haven't really seen that there were problems with the Abit IC7. I took a look through Abit's forums and a lot of the problems seemed to be with people trying to run RAID 0 and having issues with getting that going.
Old 05-25-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by UWSarge
I would rather have the 3.0GHz myself, but that costs 50% more then the 2.8GHz. $150 for 200MHz doesn't seem worth it. So, the 2.8 GHz is my personal "sweet spot". I really haven't decided to overclock or not, but I at least want the capability.

Haven't really seen that there were problems with the Abit IC7. I took a look through Abit's forums and a lot of the problems seemed to be with people trying to run RAID 0 and having issues with getting that going.
The 3.06 GHz cpu is pretty good. We have 2 servers with it and it smokes. We even get the second virtual CPU under Win 2K server.
Old 05-25-03, 12:57 PM

I would suggest an AMD based system cause it's cheaper and the performance is toe to toe with P4.

For the video card I would go with the ti4200. It is the best card for the money right now for $100. The next step up would be the ATI 9500.
Old 05-25-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by flyingdragon
I would suggest an AMD based system cause it's cheaper and the performance is toe to toe with P4.

For the video card I would go with the ti4200. It is the best card for the money right now for $100. The next step up would be the ATI 9500.
I'm currently was running a Athon 1.4GHz and really liked the AMD stuff. But... the latest 800MHz FSB with the Intel's I think are giving them an advantage over the AMD's. Intel is slightly more expensive then AMD, but from the reviews I see, the Intel is ahead on most of the benchmarks.

I think personally to get something accurately comparable to the Intel 2.8c processor, I would have to get the AMD 3000+ Barton, at which point the cost is negligible.