Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Capturing VCR footage on my computer as video files--what do I need and what do I do?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Capturing VCR footage on my computer as video files--what do I need and what do I do?

Old 05-20-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Basically, I want to be able to hook my VCR up to my computer and convert to mpegs or whatever. I know there are cards that let you do this, but I'm not particularly interested in watching TV on my computer (which I suppose would just involve additional software) or hooking up my computer to my TV. I just want to transfer tapes to my computer. What is the minimum/cheapest I need to be able to do this?
Old 05-20-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need a video capture card. There are full video cards like the All-In-Wonder line from ATI that have this abliltiy. If you don't want to buy a new video card, you can get a stand alone capture unit. I think they are around 100 bucks at Best Buy.
Old 05-21-03, 02:56 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

you need a tv in card, i got a [email protected] card for ~$40 that has rca, svideo and rf in, its rather good. it also comes with the software you'd need to record the input.
Old 05-21-03, 12:41 PM

You could also try one of these:

Best Buy Dazzle Video Creator

We have one. It works ok. I suspect a TV in card would work better, but this is easy to hook up and easy to use. Retails for about $70.