Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good routers?

Old 05-20-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good routers?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get a network going at my apartment, we got three computers - XP HE, W2k, w98Se - I know, fun combo. All got network cards, we're going for a cable internet - Charter Comm, we're just gonna rent the modem since its just for the summer. We do want to share our files with each other - only one cd burner, you know.

I'm just looking for a simple router that's reliable and has a good hardware firewall if possible - what are some good brands - Note: I do not need wireless router. We already have a lot of network cables. D-Link or Netgear, etc seems like at the top of my list - Linksys routers are bad. right? I'm going to BB this weekend to pick it out. I'd like the budge to be around $30-50. I'm just looking for a good brand. Thanks.

I know there's a ton of router threads but most of them are about the wireless ones.
Old 05-20-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have 2 Linksys routers and have recommended them to a few friends. No one has have any bad experiences with them FWIW.
Old 05-20-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i second linksys. had mine for years and never had a problem whatsoever. theyre also extremely easy to configure.
Old 05-20-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard Linksys are good, looked at a couple but got a Belkin instead...almost free after rebate and coupon. I currently use a Belkin..works great, very easy to setup, good utility software came with it. I think they are relatively new to the router market..but seems like a solid product.

-pedagogue
Old 05-20-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I checked the BB site, they do have the DI-604 for $49.99 and before a $10 MIR - sound good? I'll try go back and get the link. I'm not familiar with BB MIR, do I have to print it up on-line and mail it in or can I just get one from the store? I'd rather not order it on-line, since I want it NOW. Almost all the routers I'm interested in are all around $50, I'm down to the Linksys, Belkin, and D-Link.
Old 05-20-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want to do a lot more research than what is probably necessary, check out this site and read the reviews of the model's you're considering:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Linksys pretty much invented the category of the home router/firewall/switch. I've used a few of their products and never had any complaints.

In the end, you're probably not going to go too far wrong with whatever you get. The differences between products in this category are fairly small.
Old 05-20-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a 2 year old SMC, and it's never given me problems. I've also dealt w/ Linksys and never had problems.
Old 05-20-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another vote for Linksys. I would think you might want to get a wireless router as cheap as they are even if you do not need it right now.
Old 05-21-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a SpeedStream that worked well enough for me.
Old 05-21-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am using a netgear that I am happy with. I am using three computers on it with no problems and will be adding a fourth soon.
Old 05-21-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Linksys used to be unreliable as far as their network hardware, but they've come a loooong way in the past 5 years or so.
Old 05-25-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, back from BB, got the D-Link DI-604 for $50 before a $10 MIR. Very easy to setup, pretty nice, I still need to spend more time configuring the firewall, but all the computers are set for the internet.
Old 05-25-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Love my Linksys.
Old 05-25-03, 03:40 PM

I have the D-Link DI-604, and I don't know what the problem is, but I get intermittent outages on it. I don't think it is the cable service, because the lights on the cable modem don't change.

I have been meaning to upgrade the firmware, so it might help out my problem, but I haven't done it yet. So, my comments are probably not really helping you out too much.
Old 05-25-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

never had any major problems with my linksys routers...but when i did have a question their 24 hour tech support came through for me pretty quickly.
Old 05-25-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by heimerSWT
I have the D-Link DI-604, and I don't know what the problem is, but I get intermittent outages on it. I don't think it is the cable service, because the lights on the cable modem don't change.

I have been meaning to upgrade the firmware, so it might help out my problem, but I haven't done it yet. So, my comments are probably not really helping you out too much.
Could be a compability issue. I'm not going to do a firmware upgrade - if it ain't broke, why fix it?